FLS / Special Education Art Lessons?

  • Cindy Ingram
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2009
      Hi all,

      I am a K-5 art teacher.  Starting this semester, I now have one class a week of FLS (Functional Life Skills) students.  The class is 19 students with a wide variety of abilities, communication skills, and ages.  I see them for 35-40 minutes each week and have 2 teachers assistants in the class when them come.

      Does anyone have any lesson ideas for me?  I have seen them twice so far--we did painting and modeling clay.  I just let them go for it with the supplies to see how they worked.

      Thank you!
      Cindy Ingram
      Ronald E McNair Elementary, Dallas ISD
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2009
        Hi Cindy
        I am sure you will enjoy this group of students! I have two self
        contained classes of special education students w/ degrees of
        abilities. I find you need to modify the materials for a few kids,
        like if it is a drawing experience and you have a child that is
        totally hand over hand, you might have different collage items with
        texture for her to choose from and then the aid hand over hands with
        her to glue them. Or a child that throws things, if he is responsive
        would paint of course, but if he is having a bad day maybe he will use
        chalks or oil pastels. The aides need to communicate with you and you
        need to communicate with them so the student work isn't their work.

        As for lessons, I often modify my kindergarten experiences and or read
        a book or look at art. oops have a meeting! ALi