21st Century Skills - Teaching for Artistic Behavior

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2009
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Does your program focus on 21st Century Skills? Are you preparing your
      students for today's job market (or tomorrow's)?
      Are you giving your students the answers -- or are you teaching your
      students how to find them? Our nation's emphasis on the standardized
      test is all so wrong - the emphasis is placed on
      knowledge-knowledge-knowledge. Knowledge is so easy to find. It is
      just a click away. We need to teach our youth how to be critical
      thinkers - problem solvers. I am so very proud of my son, Matthew. I
      know I brag about him often on the lists (what do you expect? --grin).
      He got the job at Toyota (mechanical engineer) because of his many
      talents - not just because of his book smarts. He wasn't
      "top-of-the-class" in college, but he did well (magna cum laude. We
      never pushed him to be "summa"). He participated in many arts' events
      (student run theatre organization - which helped him to be a great

      Here is the site for 21st Century Skills:

      Teaching for Artistic Behavior supports 21st Century Skills:

      If that link doesn't work - go to:
      Click on 21st Century Skills in left menu

      Teaching for Artistic Behavior (or some form of Choice Based Art) is
      the only way to meet many of your curriculum standards. Really look at
      what you are supposed to be doing. I didn't "discover" until late in
      my teaching career what I was doing "wrong" (used quotation marks on
      purpose... I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong). I
      learned a LOT from reading Dr. Marvin Bartel's web site.
      I "met" Marvin on Getty list in 1998. I had to sign up to a list serve
      for a professional development class I was taking. There wasn't any
      relevant action on the required list, so I asked permission to join
      Getty list instead....and you know the rest. Here I am today.

      Lots of TAB Presentations (and presentations that support TAB) at NAEA
      this year:
      (if link doesn't work - click on link in menu on home page)

      I am so jealous of all of you who get to go to NAEA. Share some of the
      "good stuff" you learn with the lists. Don't share all of the secrets
      or folks won't find a need to go themselves the following year

      Hmmm.... I seem to be a bit chatty today (chuckles)