should I continue with art education degree/

  • jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2009
      Here are some thoughts from an old war horse who has been teaching since 1978.. My son graduated in 2004 with a double major in studio arts and Spanish never intending to teach. He worked in the commercial art field for 2 years and enjoyed it. He got paid to draw and create! As with all creative creatures, he started feeling stifled in the job and quit right after he got engaged. His fiance, a practical first grade teacher, didn't think that was wise and wanted him to get a real job (imagine that!) There were some teaching jobs open and he called me for advice. Take an elementary art job that involved traveling between 2 schools (one being on a year round schedule and one on traditional) or take an elementary Spanish job with my former principal? ( who I still thinks walks on water) I told him to take the Spanish job and he is in second year and going through our state's alternative certification program which is kind of a pain. He has to commit to teaching 3 years in the field which is Spanish. Well guess what? Our state ( as are most I would imagine!) is having serious budget woes. His principal called him and said there is a question about whether they will have Spanish and would he consider an art job!  I don't know what that would do to the certification process is already in. He wished he would have taken the extra classes to get certified before he graduated.  I on the other hand am certified in Early Childhood Ed. , reading, and art education. So even if jobs were to be cut in the art field, I feel ok about going back into the classroom. I also feel that I am a much better art teacher for having taught in a regular classroom. I can connect art to their other areas of study so much better. I also feel like I have a better feel for class discipline and management. I guess the bottom line is, get as many degrees and certification as you can and do as much work in the classroom as you can before you get dumped out into the real world!
          hope this helps,
                        Jery in SC