Re: [art_education] Art Education Should I Continue With This Major

  • Beata Szechy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2009
      I really want to teach in Dallas (Metroplex) area, do you have any idea where can I start to look for an art teaching job?  (I have 16 years college art teaching background)  appreciate your help...

      From: elizabeth.bohn <elizabeth.bohn@ yahoo.com>
      To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, January 5, 2009, 12:43 PM

      I am an Art Major in my junior year of college. I have been told recently by people in
      education that I should not major in Art Ed because jobs are currently being cut and I might
      not find one. I want to graduate with my studio Art bachelor degree and then get a master
      degree to teach K-12. Now I am rethinking my decision to teach Art and maybe I should get
      an Elementary Ed degree? Does anyone know how hard it would be to get an Elementary Ed
      degree after receiving an Art Bachelor Degree?

    • The Prior House
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
        Re:Art Education Should I Continue With This Major Hi – well just another thought regarding this.

        It is probably a good idea to also have a fall back or another strong area as well.

        Maybe you could minor in something additional that could fortify your current resume and qualifications – and adding another minor may even be good for you in other ways.
        The music teacher at our school went from part-time to full-time because she had some library training to bring to the mix... And so the more you bring to the overall package – the better your chances.

        Also, try not to worry too much about it.  Plan and prepare with wisdom, yes, but don’t over think or worry or you’ll talk yourself out of a lot of great things.
        You picked art because it is your wiring and it is “who” you are... and
        usually doors open up when we move along the path.
        So many people I know literally stumbled on niche positions – and you just never know what you will eventually find or even create. Sometimes the right job just seems to appear and it is that easy– other times, we must work our way into a dream position (and pay our dues)– and then other times, after trying this or that, some people just find what they want to really do - like start a company, get into specific areas of art, etc.
        And who knows, you may go to a school job fair – and the hiring folks may know that their current art teacher is leaving in two years and they are scouting for the long run – and you may get a temp offer with the art job lined up. Okay maybe not, but things like that happen all the time and the right doors do open!

        I know this sounds easier said than done, but it never pays in the long run to only pick a career because it offers security or because there are more available jobs.
        I think you would regret it if you did not get your art degree – and you’d probably go back to get it anyhow. It has been your major for three years now and it is probably more right on to “who” you are and than any other degree will be.  Stay true to that and you’ll  be fully alive and have other inner success,  which is priceless!!! I know more than a few folks that have left law careers, banking jobs, etc. - to  finally pursue an area that they love (but avoided because it was too risky “way back when” or because they were afraid).

          Bets wishes,

        Yvette (in VA)

        Art Education Should I Continue With This Major
        Posted by: "elizabeth.bohn" elizabeth.bohn@...  elizabeth.bohn
        Mon Jan 5, 2009 10:43 am (PST)

        I am an Art Major in my junior year of college. I have been told recently by people in
        education that I should not major in Art Ed because jobs are currently being cut and I might
        not find one. I want to graduate with my studio Art bachelor degree and then get a master
        degree to teach K-12. Now I am rethinking my decision to teach Art and maybe I should get
        an Elementary Ed degree? Does anyone know how hard it would be to get an Elementary Ed
        degree after receiving an Art Bachelor Degree?
      • Betsy Holster
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
          The flip side to getting a minor in another area is that you better make sure it's an area you really want to teach.  I have watched many HS art teachers end up teaching all English or Science with 1 or 2 art classes.  One teacher no longer teaches ANY art - they scheduled her for all English classes.

          Betsy

          Elizabeth Holster
          Assistant Professor
          CSUF Visual Art

          From Betsy Holster Art is where you live.

          To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          From: priorhouse@...
          Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:57:11 -0500

[...]

          Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your Hotmail® account now.
        • Suzette Milam-Morrow
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009

            I just remembered a craft lesson I saw someplace online that was neat. I think it was on Michael’s site, but I’m not too sure. Anyway, it was stringing buttons from large diameter to small diameter to make a snake. A pom-pom was tied in the largest end for the head. I know it is kind of crafty for anyone that has the “craft is inferior” opinion, but sorting is a standard and is a higher level thinking skill for kids. I just thought since you have bags full of buttons, it would be a fun project that would take a lot of buttons.

          • Penny Lee
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2009
              The requirements needed to become certified in a public education field are dictated by what state you live in and / or wish to teach in.  You might look into the requirements for the state you're in on the state dept. of education's website and / or visit or talk to someone in the placement office of your local university or college depending on where you'd go for your certification and ask them about the job climate in the state.  There maybe possibilities in areas in your state that have numerous teaching positions but they maybe located in a less than desirable area or contain a population that may not work for you.

              Again, depending on the state, you may or may not need to become certified in kinder - 12th grade; kinder - 6th (or 5th) maybe acceptable, particularly if you are interested in teaching kinder through 6th (5th) grades.  I wouldn't invest more $ than you need to 1) because university / college classes aren't very reasonably priced, 2) one seldom sees a good return on their investment (in my case, I saw zero money for the 7 classes I took to beome endorsed to teach Art), and 3) you may wind up taking classes that aren't necessary to obtain a position.

              To: art_education@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 7, 2009
                Get your BFA (so you have no worries about NCLB) and a BS in art ed, then apply to a graduate school and get a masters in education or education administration (if this is something you are interested in) or something education-related.  That masters (be it in el ed... whatever) will serve you well.  It can help you get a placement in any elementary position and puts you further up on the pay scale.  Right out of school you don't have the concerns of leaving a position to persue a masters or paying for a masters, taking night classes, and working days.  My husband is getting a masters in Spanish Lit right now and working as a grad assistant (full tuition waiver and a stipend paid every month).  Upon graduation he'll have more options available than I do, presently, though as an art teacher I have not had any issues (yet) with getting a job (fingers crossed).
                Some say that having a masters prevents you from securing a position that can be filled by someone who can be paid less, but having been in three different districts across the country (Nevada, Arizona, and Arkansas) I have not seen that this is the case.  Quite to the contrary.  The administrators who concern themselves with hiring the best teachers for the positions worry less about hiring an "over qualified" teacher than some will lead you to believe.  In the school I am presently working for we have more masters than not, and many are first year teachers with masters, and they are getting paid about the same as I am with my 8 years.
                Hope that what I have said here makes sense.  I was typing while I had kids wandering in and out to say hello after the break and before they had to get to classes!

                Becky Hopkins
                Art Teacher
                Marion Junior High School

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Some states have an art teacher in almost every building. I believe it
                  was Arkansas that recently passed legislation requiring an art teacher
                  in every building. (It might be Alabama). People are still sending me
                  art teacher positions from many states, so there are people out there
                  hiring.

                  Ken