New Lessons on IAD - Color - Mandala - Pop-up Book

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      I am trying to get a lot in one email...I know I have
      been talking too much lately (smile).

      Excellent elementary follow-up lesson to the Edible
      Color Wheel - Adaptable to middle school.
      Animals a la Andy Warhol - Tie in Science with
      Endangered Species (links to come on lesson for those)
      From Denise Pannell:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/denise-warhol.htm

      Mandala Lesson Ideas - from Dana Riggleman
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/dana-mandala.htm

      Pop Art - Pop-up tunnel book from Tammi Fox
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/tammi-popart.htm

      More links to come on this lesson. Dana's and Tammi's
      won't be linked up until I get them changed into Front
      Page - I thought I would share the easier way first.

      Your favorite color lessons will be added to the
      Edible Color Wheel soon.

      Judith Decker

      P.S. Tammi - I did email the original author of your
      lesson. I won't link it up unless I hear back from
      her. Thanks for sharing it. I took her email address
      off. I don't put email addresses on the lessons unless
      the teachers ask me to.

      =====
      Judith Decker
      Incredible Art Department
      Jdecker@...
      Incredible Art Resources

    • cath910@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
        In a message dated 01/15/2004 9:03:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, judydeckeriad@... writes:

        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/dana-mandala.htm

        Judy are there pictures of the mandalas?
      • Kelli Denne
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 25, 2004
          I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th graders and I was just informed that next year I will have one class of sixth graders that will be only 6 weeks long, 2 classes that will be 7 weeks long and 2 classes that will be 9 weeks long.  As art teachers, we all know that art projects that develop knowledge and skill take awhile.  I can't decide if I"m better off by doing many short lessons or just 2 or 3 long lessons.  They call these short classes "exploratory classes".  I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these extremely short classes and if there are any suggestions on how to make the most out of only have my students for such a short time.  Also, how to make life easier on me as the teacher.  I will be doing final grades about every three weeks, not including midterms.  I'm afraid all my time will be spent keeping up on bookwork and day to day "housework"  instead of developing my lessons and making my classroom a fun experience.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

          Kelli

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Renah Bell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 25, 2004
            You're lucky you have them every day for a few weeks. I get mine once a week for an hour for a few weeks. The program is also called exploratory, but it is very hard to have continuity that way. I really thank all of you for some wonderful ideas that I've been able to use effectively.
            Renah Bell
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              In my county the middle school exploratory schedule is broken up by
              grade. The sixth graders are on a seven week rotation between five
              different classes: Art, Family and Consumer Science, Informational
              Technology, Music, and Technology Education.
              The seventh grade students are on a nine week rotation between: Art,
              Family and Consumer Science, Informational Technology, and
              Technology Education. Students who are in band or choir in the
              seventh and 8th grade do not get to take any of the other course
              offerings. (A draw back to the schedule since many kids with music
              interests are also usually quite artistically creative.)
              The eighth grade students then choose two courses for a semester
              rotation. Again, between the offerings of Art, Family and Consumer
              Science, Informational Technology, and Technology Education. The
              eighth grade is the only graded course to allow for the kids to
              explore their interest in the middle school years.
              All my classes are on a Block Schedule. The students rotate on an
              A/B day rotation. On one day they have PE and then on the alternate
              day they go to their Exploratory class. The class blocks are 81
              minutes in length.

              The Art Lady
              Miss Holly Bess Kincaid
              Dublin Middle School
              Dublin, VA

              "Draw a crazy picture, Write a nutty poem,
              Sing a mumble-gumble song, Whistle through your comb.
              Do a loony-goony dance 'Cross the kitchen floor,
              Put something silly in the world That ain't been there before."
              -- Author: Shel Silverstein