Re: [art_education] Re:Paper Patterns

  • MJ Smith
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
      I will have to check on Monday. I also received a garbage bag full of buttons, I need to do something with them.

      Jennifer

      "An idea is salvation by imagination."
      Frank Lloyd Wright

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
        Jennifer,
        I once did a project with Middle School students where they looked at old pattern envelopes and then did a fashion design project.
        I bought  6 x 9 " (approx) white envelopes at Staples for them to do the finished design on but you could make the envelopes too.

        They studied the old patterns to see how the models stood, angle of hips, shoulders etc.  Looking at them seemed to help them more than just looking at books and they can get the size and proportion easily if they do it on an envelope of approx. the same size.    Some did retro designs, some did "todays" fashions.    They look cool if they do some lettering to describe it like is on the pattern envelope.   You can also do a lesson on lettering if you want or even let this be a lead-in lesson to a full unit on commercial design.
        I had a couple of Special needs students who I allowed to trace the models and then make their fashions on top of the tracings which I then helped them put onto the envelope and then they colored them.  The rest of the kids had to draw their models by just looking at the patterns.

        They make a neat display too with the commercial patterns displayed along with the creative ones from the students.

        If you do this project then you can still use the actual patterns for another project.  Cool!  Two (or more) projects from one freebie gift!
        Cindy

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
          think COLLAGE....the envelopes and the patterns are great to use in collage and mixed media work!
          Terri
          k-5 Fla.

        • maryjo rosania
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
            I am also interested in buying some if you are selling....
            I like the idea of fashion design, what class is this for exactly? I just took a class in fashion illustration, and one thing you can teach them to draw is the fashion croquis (pronounced Croh-kee) - or fashion figure-- the proportions are different on a croquis than a regular figure drawing....then they can design their own clothing. Adapt the old fashions in to contemporary design...then you are teaching about post modernism too!!
            MaryJo

            On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Terri Noell <daisymae91@...> wrote:

            think COLLAGE....the envelopes and the patterns are great to use in collage and mixed media work!

            Terri
            k-5 Fla.

            It's the same Hotmail®. If by "same" you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now.

            --
            MaryJo Rosania

          • MJ Smith
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
              I teach K-12 in a small rural school. I too love the idea of fashion design.

              Jennifer

              "An idea is salvation by imagination."
              Frank Lloyd Wright

              > I am also interested in buying some if you are selling....I
              > like the idea of
              > fashion design, what class is this for exactly? I just took
              > a class in
              > fashion illustration, and one thing you can teach them to
              > draw is the
              > fashion croquis (pronounced Croh-kee) - or fashion figure--
              > the proportions
              > are different on a croquis than a regular figure
              > drawing....then they can
              > design their own clothing. Adapt the old fashions in to
              > contemporary
              > design...then you are teaching about post modernism too!!
              > MaryJo
              >

              > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Terri Noell
              > <daisymae91@...> wrote:
              >
              > > think COLLAGE....the envelopes and the patterns are
              > great to use in
              > > collage and mixed media work!
              > > Terri
              > > k-5 Fla.
              > >
              > > ------------------------------
              > > It's the same Hotmail(R). If by "same"
              > you mean up to 70% faster. Get your
              > > account
              > now.<http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad1_122008>
              > >

              > --
              > MaryJo Rosania
            • maryjo rosania
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                The older kids might love the fashion design idea, and for the younger kids, the packages could be great inspiration for something like a "superhero suit" or when I grow up I want to be....and they could use the models on the packaging for inspiration....just off the top of my head. There are alot of websites with fashion illustration on them -- it is a great field with a wide variety of drawing styles represented....also,  fashion illustrators work in almost all drawing media - markers, pencil, watercolor, paint...ink....
                so there is alot there to show them.
                MaryJo

                --
                MaryJo Rosania

              • MJ Smith
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Wow. Thank you for all of the great ideas. I can't wait to get started.

                • Heather Martin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                    I use old sewing patterns to make paper with. I usually mix them in with other recycled pulp. They make very interesting handmade paper---- the lines and words are mixed into the pulp---- the kids have fun trying to find letters, etc in their papers. They are also good to paper mache with.

                    Heather

                  • bruthrobson@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                      I'd be interested in buying some too for collage.
                      Brenda

                      In a message dated 1/4/09 7:29:41 PM, sages7@... writes:

                      "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                      > > Frank Lloyd Wright

                      \

                      **************
                      New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)
                    • julie
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                        buttons too!  i'm sure many of us would love to buy some of those too!  i'd be in heaven if somebody gave me patterns and buttons! :-) julie

                        ‹(•¿•)›

                      • Jenifer Weiss
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                          yes!  buttons are the best.  The paper patterns open up all sorts of possibilities.  Using materials in new ways and to create art in ways that were not originally intended are what art, creativity, invention are all about.  Many of us would like to share your creative endeavor.  woo hoo.  thanks.

                          Jenifer in Maryland

                          To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jatcagirl7@...
                          Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:03:15 -0800
                          Subject: [art_education] Re: Paper Patterns

                          buttons too!  i'm sure many of us would love to buy some of those too!  i'd be in heaven if somebody gave me patterns and buttons! :-) julie

                          ‹(•¿•)›

                        • Susan Childers
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 5, 2009
                            contact a college or university theater or costume shop. they would love to have them

                          • MJ Smith
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 6, 2009
                              Hi Everybody,

                              After some thought I have decided to use all of my patterns and buttons.

                              I love the ideas you all generated and thank you for your creative responses. I will post pictures when we finish our projects (Feb/March).

                              Thank you again, you are great creators of ideas.

                              Jennifer
                              Arkansas