Re: Paper Patterns

  • laufermom08
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
      I have used old patterns to make paper pulp to cast in a mold. It is
      easy to tear up and soak. The kids could use it to make paper. Like
      other paper making methods, you can add small amounts of thread,
      glitter or other add-ins to create more interest.

      I used the clay molds from Pampered Chef for the paper cast and
      colored the resulting image with markers or watercolors. I liked old
      markers that are dipped in water for color better than the bright
      colors of new ones.

      Two hundred patterns would be enough for probably at least that many kids.

      Selling some of the old ones on eBay to raise art dept. dollars is
      also a good idea.
    • MJ Smith
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
        I got the patterns from a junk collector. He had no use for them.... I will check to see if any are old enough to sell on ebay. I love your suggestions.

        Jennifer

        "An idea is salvation by imagination."
        Frank Lloyd Wright

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
          i dunno about ebay, but i'm interested in buying some myself, if they're from the 80s and earlier!

          :-) julie t.

          ‹(•¿•)›

        • MJ Smith
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
            I will have to check on Monday. I also received a garbage bag full of buttons, I need to do something with them.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
              Jennifer,
              I once did a project with Middle School students where they looked at old pattern envelopes and then did a fashion design project.
              I bought  6 x 9 " (approx) white envelopes at Staples for them to do the finished design on but you could make the envelopes too.

              They studied the old patterns to see how the models stood, angle of hips, shoulders etc.  Looking at them seemed to help them more than just looking at books and they can get the size and proportion easily if they do it on an envelope of approx. the same size.    Some did retro designs, some did "todays" fashions.    They look cool if they do some lettering to describe it like is on the pattern envelope.   You can also do a lesson on lettering if you want or even let this be a lead-in lesson to a full unit on commercial design.
              I had a couple of Special needs students who I allowed to trace the models and then make their fashions on top of the tracings which I then helped them put onto the envelope and then they colored them.  The rest of the kids had to draw their models by just looking at the patterns.

              They make a neat display too with the commercial patterns displayed along with the creative ones from the students.

              If you do this project then you can still use the actual patterns for another project.  Cool!  Two (or more) projects from one freebie gift!
              Cindy

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                think COLLAGE....the envelopes and the patterns are great to use in collage and mixed media work!
                Terri
                k-5 Fla.

              • maryjo rosania
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                  I am also interested in buying some if you are selling....
                  I like the idea of fashion design, what class is this for exactly? I just took a class in fashion illustration, and one thing you can teach them to draw is the fashion croquis (pronounced Croh-kee) - or fashion figure-- the proportions are different on a croquis than a regular figure drawing....then they can design their own clothing. Adapt the old fashions in to contemporary design...then you are teaching about post modernism too!!
                  MaryJo

                  On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Terri Noell <daisymae91@...> wrote:

                  think COLLAGE....the envelopes and the patterns are great to use in collage and mixed media work!

                  Terri
                  k-5 Fla.

                  It's the same Hotmail®. If by "same" you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now.

                  --
                  MaryJo Rosania

                • MJ Smith
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                    I teach K-12 in a small rural school. I too love the idea of fashion design.

                    Jennifer

                    "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

                    > I am also interested in buying some if you are selling....I
                    > like the idea of
                    > fashion design, what class is this for exactly? I just took
                    > a class in
                    > fashion illustration, and one thing you can teach them to
                    > draw is the
                    > fashion croquis (pronounced Croh-kee) - or fashion figure--
                    > the proportions
                    > are different on a croquis than a regular figure
                    > drawing....then they can
                    > design their own clothing. Adapt the old fashions in to
                    > contemporary
                    > design...then you are teaching about post modernism too!!
                    > MaryJo
                    >

                    > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Terri Noell
                    > <daisymae91@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > think COLLAGE....the envelopes and the patterns are
                    > great to use in
                    > > collage and mixed media work!
                    > > Terri
                    > > k-5 Fla.
                    > >
                    > > ------------------------------
                    > > It's the same Hotmail(R). If by "same"
                    > you mean up to 70% faster. Get your
                    > > account
                    > now.<http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad1_122008>
                    > >

                    > --
                    > MaryJo Rosania
                  • maryjo rosania
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                      The older kids might love the fashion design idea, and for the younger kids, the packages could be great inspiration for something like a "superhero suit" or when I grow up I want to be....and they could use the models on the packaging for inspiration....just off the top of my head. There are alot of websites with fashion illustration on them -- it is a great field with a wide variety of drawing styles represented....also,  fashion illustrators work in almost all drawing media - markers, pencil, watercolor, paint...ink....
                      so there is alot there to show them.
                      MaryJo

                      --
                      MaryJo Rosania

                    • MJ Smith
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                        Wow. Thank you for all of the great ideas. I can't wait to get started.

                      • Heather Martin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                          I use old sewing patterns to make paper with. I usually mix them in with other recycled pulp. They make very interesting handmade paper---- the lines and words are mixed into the pulp---- the kids have fun trying to find letters, etc in their papers. They are also good to paper mache with.

                          Heather

                        • bruthrobson@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                            I'd be interested in buying some too for collage.
                            Brenda

                            In a message dated 1/4/09 7:29:41 PM, sages7@... writes:

                            "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                            > > Frank Lloyd Wright

                            \

                            **************
                            New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)
                          • julie
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                              buttons too!  i'm sure many of us would love to buy some of those too!  i'd be in heaven if somebody gave me patterns and buttons! :-) julie

                              ‹(•¿•)›

                            • Jenifer Weiss
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                                yes!  buttons are the best.  The paper patterns open up all sorts of possibilities.  Using materials in new ways and to create art in ways that were not originally intended are what art, creativity, invention are all about.  Many of us would like to share your creative endeavor.  woo hoo.  thanks.

                                Jenifer in Maryland

                                To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                                From: jatcagirl7@...
                                Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:03:15 -0800
                                Subject: [art_education] Re: Paper Patterns

                                buttons too!  i'm sure many of us would love to buy some of those too!  i'd be in heaven if somebody gave me patterns and buttons! :-) julie

                                ‹(•¿•)›

                              • Susan Childers
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 5, 2009
                                  contact a college or university theater or costume shop. they would love to have them

                                • MJ Smith
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 6, 2009
                                    Hi Everybody,

                                    After some thought I have decided to use all of my patterns and buttons.

                                    I love the ideas you all generated and thank you for your creative responses. I will post pictures when we finish our projects (Feb/March).

                                    Thank you again, you are great creators of ideas.

                                    Jennifer
                                    Arkansas