Re: fimo clay

  • Makio Kawashima
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
      Hi Garie ,
      New clay project :clay characters in gashapon.

      Regards,
      Makio Kawashima,

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
        Hi, You can used the gashapan to create snow globe,
        http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/globe.htm
        Thanks for your information.
        Regards,
        Garie

      • playgrouppaintings
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
          Hello! I have used Sculpey clay frequently over the past few years
          in my classes. It does adhere to glass provided the glass isn't waxy
          or greasy so make sure they (or you) wipe with alcohol first. If it
          falls off later they can just tacky glue it back on. I've also used
          it on the paper mache boxes, wood, silverware (metal), and freeform.
          A little bit of that clay does go a long way so you could probably
          get away with splitting one brick between 4 children. They should
          keep the pieces somewhat thin. I just came from Michaels and they
          were on sale for .99 each, but other than that they are more
          expensive.

          Aside from cost I have found the following pitfalls when working with
          polymer clay and kids:

          1. White burns in the oven and turns brown regardless of the
          temperature. So unless you are going to sit and watch it, don't use
          white as your predominant color.
          2. Metallic colors are squishier than the others and make a mess on
          their hands. Make sure that they use these colors last so they don't
          bleed on the other colors from their hands - or avoid altogether.
          3. Along the lines of #2, make sure that the children work from the
          lightest color to the darkest color so that the darker and brighter
          colors don't transfer from their fingers onto the lighter colors.
          4. You do need access to a sink as their hands get quite 'colorful'.
          5. Just make sure the clay is kept sort of the same thickness
          throughout the piece.

          Also, on a positive note, they love making the canes. If you google
          polymer clay you can find pretty good instructions as to how to teach
          it. This also makes the clay go a long way.

          Candle votives covered in the clay work well as they are small and
          thus use less clay. They can assemble the dragons on the table then
          adhere them before you bake it.

          Sorry for the long post! Lee

          wrote:

          > Hi
          > I am thinking of doing a project for the Chinese new year with my
          6th
          > grade. Usually, I do clay, or paper or painted dragons. I've many
          > different kinds, but still as the artist in me-- wants to find
          other
          > ways- one to keep it fresh for me and that makes it more motivating
          > teach it.
          > I saw an example of Fimo clay on bottles. I was wondering if any
          of
          > you have done these? Is the glass bottle okay in the oven? Did you
          use
          > a regular glass bottle- would the clay protect it. I"m think of a
          > upright dragon-- cover it in various patterns of colored clay and
          then
          > the kids can make the head, limbs and tail out of the clay as well.
          > Only Fimo comes in such small packages, it can be costly. Need to
          find
          > smaller bottles, perhaps.
          > I am going to try covering bottle left over from NYE today-
          > hopefully, I won't have a mess in my oven.
          > Marianna

        • Terri Noell
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
            one more hint: if you check with Michaels or their website...you can write up a grant for the clay and tools...never hurts to give it a try!
            Terri
            k-5 Fla.