Re: fimo clay

  • Garie Sim
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3 4:05 PM
      Happy New Year Makio Kawashima, we are happy to share our projects.
      Anyway, our Chinese New Year is on 26th Jan 2009, welcoming the year of the OX.
      I love the kites that the kids made, it is always interesting to teach children to make
      something that they can play with or use them as functioning item. Play is the key in
      educating the kids.
      Regards,
      Garie Sim,
      http://gariesim.blogspot.com
      http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/learning.htm
      http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/index.html

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Makio Kawashima" <kawama@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for the great info Garie!
      >
      > Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
      > http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/kite.html
      > Welcoming The Year Of The Ox,2009
      >
      > Regards,
      > Makio KAWASHIMA
      > Art Teacher
      > Shinozaki Elementary School Art Museum
      > http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/zukou4.html
      > http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/pasokon2.html
      > Art Lessons and Ideas for Teachers
      > http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/artcommunal/lessonplans.htm
      > STUDENT ART GALLERIES
      > http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/Schoolgallery.htm

    • Makio Kawashima
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4 2:35 AM
        Hi Garie ,
        New clay project :clay characters in gashapon.

        Regards,
        Makio Kawashima,

        Happy New Year Makio Kawashima, we are happy to share our projects.
        Anyway, our Chinese New Year is on 26th Jan 2009, welcoming the year of the OX.
        I love the kites that the kids made, it is always interesting to teach children to make
        something that they can play with or use them as functioning item. Play is the key in
        educating the kids.
        Regards,
        Garie Sim,
        http://gariesim. blogspot. com
        http://www.garieint ernational. com.sg/clay/ learning. htm
        http://www.garieint ernational. com.sg/clay/ index.html

        --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Makio Kawashima" <kawama@...> wrote:

        > Thank you for the great info Garie!
        >
        > Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
        > http://www5f. biglobe.ne. jp/~eLearning/ kite.html
        > Welcoming The Year Of The Ox,2009
        >
        > Regards,
        > Makio KAWASHIMA
        > Art Teacher
        > Shinozaki Elementary School Art Museum
        > http://www.edogawak u.ed.jp/shinozak is/zukou4. html
        > http://www.edogawak u.ed.jp/shinozak is/pasokon2. html
        > Art Lessons and Ideas for Teachers
        > http://www006. upp.so-net. ne.jp/artcommuna l/lessonplans. htm
        > STUDENT ART GALLERIES
        > http://www5f. biglobe.ne. jp/~eLearning/ Schoolgallery. htm

      • Garie Sim
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4 5:00 AM
          Hi, You can used the gashapan to create snow globe,
          http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/globe.htm
          Thanks for your information.
          Regards,
          Garie

        • playgrouppaintings
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4 10:57 AM
            Hello! I have used Sculpey clay frequently over the past few years
            in my classes. It does adhere to glass provided the glass isn't waxy
            or greasy so make sure they (or you) wipe with alcohol first. If it
            falls off later they can just tacky glue it back on. I've also used
            it on the paper mache boxes, wood, silverware (metal), and freeform.
            A little bit of that clay does go a long way so you could probably
            get away with splitting one brick between 4 children. They should
            keep the pieces somewhat thin. I just came from Michaels and they
            were on sale for .99 each, but other than that they are more
            expensive.

            Aside from cost I have found the following pitfalls when working with
            polymer clay and kids:

            1. White burns in the oven and turns brown regardless of the
            temperature. So unless you are going to sit and watch it, don't use
            white as your predominant color.
            2. Metallic colors are squishier than the others and make a mess on
            their hands. Make sure that they use these colors last so they don't
            bleed on the other colors from their hands - or avoid altogether.
            3. Along the lines of #2, make sure that the children work from the
            lightest color to the darkest color so that the darker and brighter
            colors don't transfer from their fingers onto the lighter colors.
            4. You do need access to a sink as their hands get quite 'colorful'.
            5. Just make sure the clay is kept sort of the same thickness
            throughout the piece.

            Also, on a positive note, they love making the canes. If you google
            polymer clay you can find pretty good instructions as to how to teach
            it. This also makes the clay go a long way.

            Candle votives covered in the clay work well as they are small and
            thus use less clay. They can assemble the dragons on the table then
            adhere them before you bake it.

            Sorry for the long post! Lee

            wrote:

            > Hi
            > I am thinking of doing a project for the Chinese new year with my
            6th
            > grade. Usually, I do clay, or paper or painted dragons. I've many
            > different kinds, but still as the artist in me-- wants to find
            other
            > ways- one to keep it fresh for me and that makes it more motivating
            > teach it.
            > I saw an example of Fimo clay on bottles. I was wondering if any
            of
            > you have done these? Is the glass bottle okay in the oven? Did you
            use
            > a regular glass bottle- would the clay protect it. I"m think of a
            > upright dragon-- cover it in various patterns of colored clay and
            then
            > the kids can make the head, limbs and tail out of the clay as well.
            > Only Fimo comes in such small packages, it can be costly. Need to
            find
            > smaller bottles, perhaps.
            > I am going to try covering bottle left over from NYE today-
            > hopefully, I won't have a mess in my oven.
            > Marianna

          • Terri Noell
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4 1:39 PM
              one more hint: if you check with Michaels or their website...you can write up a grant for the clay and tools...never hurts to give it a try!
              Terri
              k-5 Fla.