Re: [art_education] Re: fimo clay

  • Makio Kawashima
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
      Thank you for the great info Garie!
      Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
      http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/kite.html
      Welcoming The Year  Of  The Ox,2009

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
        Because of the cost and the firing dangers due to shrinkage, why not use paper mache'?  Soft sculpting wire could be used to form the armature. Students could also embellish with bits of the fimo clay for teeth, eyes, claws, etc.  I have had success with this method, painting over with metallic paints and wrapping with cloth strips, wire and bright colored string.
        My students will be doing a project using bottles also.  My idea was inspired by a lesson in the September or October issue of School Arts.
        Best of luck, sounds like a really great project!
        Diane

      • Garie Sim
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
          Happy New Year Makio Kawashima, we are happy to share our projects.
          Anyway, our Chinese New Year is on 26th Jan 2009, welcoming the year of the OX.
          I love the kites that the kids made, it is always interesting to teach children to make
          something that they can play with or use them as functioning item. Play is the key in
          educating the kids.
          Regards,
          Garie Sim,
          http://gariesim.blogspot.com
          http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/learning.htm
          http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/index.html

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Makio Kawashima" <kawama@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for the great info Garie!
          >
          > Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
          > http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/kite.html
          > Welcoming The Year Of The Ox,2009
          >
          > Regards,
          > Makio KAWASHIMA
          > Art Teacher
          > Shinozaki Elementary School Art Museum
          > http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/zukou4.html
          > http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/pasokon2.html
          > Art Lessons and Ideas for Teachers
          > http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/artcommunal/lessonplans.htm
          > STUDENT ART GALLERIES
          > http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/Schoolgallery.htm

        • Makio Kawashima
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
            Hi Garie ,
            New clay project :clay characters in gashapon.

            Regards,
            Makio Kawashima,

            Happy New Year Makio Kawashima, we are happy to share our projects.
            Anyway, our Chinese New Year is on 26th Jan 2009, welcoming the year of the OX.
            I love the kites that the kids made, it is always interesting to teach children to make
            something that they can play with or use them as functioning item. Play is the key in
            educating the kids.
            Regards,
            Garie Sim,
            http://gariesim. blogspot. com
            http://www.garieint ernational. com.sg/clay/ learning. htm
            http://www.garieint ernational. com.sg/clay/ index.html

            --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Makio Kawashima" <kawama@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for the great info Garie!
            >
            > Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
            > http://www5f. biglobe.ne. jp/~eLearning/ kite.html
            > Welcoming The Year Of The Ox,2009
            >
            > Regards,
            > Makio KAWASHIMA
            > Art Teacher
            > Shinozaki Elementary School Art Museum
            > http://www.edogawak u.ed.jp/shinozak is/zukou4. html
            > http://www.edogawak u.ed.jp/shinozak is/pasokon2. html
            > Art Lessons and Ideas for Teachers
            > http://www006. upp.so-net. ne.jp/artcommuna l/lessonplans. htm
            > STUDENT ART GALLERIES
            > http://www5f. biglobe.ne. jp/~eLearning/ Schoolgallery. htm

          • Garie Sim
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
              Hi, You can used the gashapan to create snow globe,
              http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/globe.htm
              Thanks for your information.
              Regards,
              Garie

            • playgrouppaintings
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                Hello! I have used Sculpey clay frequently over the past few years
                in my classes. It does adhere to glass provided the glass isn't waxy
                or greasy so make sure they (or you) wipe with alcohol first. If it
                falls off later they can just tacky glue it back on. I've also used
                it on the paper mache boxes, wood, silverware (metal), and freeform.
                A little bit of that clay does go a long way so you could probably
                get away with splitting one brick between 4 children. They should
                keep the pieces somewhat thin. I just came from Michaels and they
                were on sale for .99 each, but other than that they are more
                expensive.

                Aside from cost I have found the following pitfalls when working with
                polymer clay and kids:

                1. White burns in the oven and turns brown regardless of the
                temperature. So unless you are going to sit and watch it, don't use
                white as your predominant color.
                2. Metallic colors are squishier than the others and make a mess on
                their hands. Make sure that they use these colors last so they don't
                bleed on the other colors from their hands - or avoid altogether.
                3. Along the lines of #2, make sure that the children work from the
                lightest color to the darkest color so that the darker and brighter
                colors don't transfer from their fingers onto the lighter colors.
                4. You do need access to a sink as their hands get quite 'colorful'.
                5. Just make sure the clay is kept sort of the same thickness
                throughout the piece.

                Also, on a positive note, they love making the canes. If you google
                polymer clay you can find pretty good instructions as to how to teach
                it. This also makes the clay go a long way.

                Candle votives covered in the clay work well as they are small and
                thus use less clay. They can assemble the dragons on the table then
                adhere them before you bake it.

                Sorry for the long post! Lee

                wrote:

                > Hi
                > I am thinking of doing a project for the Chinese new year with my
                6th
                > grade. Usually, I do clay, or paper or painted dragons. I've many
                > different kinds, but still as the artist in me-- wants to find
                other
                > ways- one to keep it fresh for me and that makes it more motivating
                > teach it.
                > I saw an example of Fimo clay on bottles. I was wondering if any
                of
                > you have done these? Is the glass bottle okay in the oven? Did you
                use
                > a regular glass bottle- would the clay protect it. I"m think of a
                > upright dragon-- cover it in various patterns of colored clay and
                then
                > the kids can make the head, limbs and tail out of the clay as well.
                > Only Fimo comes in such small packages, it can be costly. Need to
                find
                > smaller bottles, perhaps.
                > I am going to try covering bottle left over from NYE today-
                > hopefully, I won't have a mess in my oven.
                > Marianna

              • Terri Noell
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                  one more hint: if you check with Michaels or their website...you can write up a grant for the clay and tools...never hurts to give it a try!
                  Terri
                  k-5 Fla.