fimo clay

  • Marianna
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi
      I am thinking of doing a project for the Chinese new year with my 6th
      grade. Usually, I do clay, or paper or painted dragons. I've many
      different kinds, but still as the artist in me-- wants to find other
      ways- one to keep it fresh for me and that makes it more motivating to
      teach it.
      I saw an example of Fimo clay on bottles. I was wondering if any of
      you have done these? Is the glass bottle okay in the oven? Did you use
      a regular glass bottle- would the clay protect it. I"m think of a
      upright dragon-- cover it in various patterns of colored clay and then
      the kids can make the head, limbs and tail out of the clay as well.
      Only Fimo comes in such small packages, it can be costly. Need to find
      smaller bottles, perhaps.
      I am going to try covering bottle left over from NYE today-
      hopefully, I won't have a mess in my oven.
      Marianna
    • bruthrobson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
        That sounds great but I had luck covering water bottles with model magic (you could even used colored) with really good results.  My students made canopic jars that looked like a baboon, falcon etc.
        Brenda
        I have done fimo on glass and it looks fantastic but sooo costly.

        **************
        New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)
      • Terri Noell
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
          try this site for another idea! http://www.dia.org/education/egypt-
          teachers/art/ruddy/activity.htm

          terri
          k-5 Fla.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, bruthrobson@... wrote:

          > That sounds great but I had luck covering water bottles with model magic (you
          > could even used colored) with really good results. My students made canopic
          > jars that looked like a baboon, falcon etc.
          > Brenda
          > I have done fimo on glass and it looks fantastic but sooo costly.
          >

          > **************
          > New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.
          > (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

        • Garie Sim
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
            Hi,
            Here's my Chinese New Year Projects with kids, using polymer clay
            http://gariesim.blogspot.com/2008/01/kids-projects.html
            http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/doggy_cny.htm
            Regards,
            Garie
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Marianna" <MAKEART96@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I am thinking of doing a project for the Chinese new year with my 6th
            > grade. Usually, I do clay, or paper or painted dragons. I've many
            > different kinds, but still as the artist in me-- wants to find other
            > ways- one to keep it fresh for me and that makes it more motivating to
            > teach it.
            > I saw an example of Fimo clay on bottles. I was wondering if any of
            > you have done these? Is the glass bottle okay in the oven? Did you use
            > a regular glass bottle- would the clay protect it. I"m think of a
            > upright dragon-- cover it in various patterns of colored clay and then
            > the kids can make the head, limbs and tail out of the clay as well.
            > Only Fimo comes in such small packages, it can be costly. Need to find
            > smaller bottles, perhaps.
            > I am going to try covering bottle left over from NYE today-
            > hopefully, I won't have a mess in my oven.
            > Marianna

          • Makio Kawashima
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
              Thank you for the great info Garie!
              Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
              http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/kite.html
              Welcoming The Year  Of  The Ox,2009

            • eduk8r2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                Because of the cost and the firing dangers due to shrinkage, why not use paper mache'?  Soft sculpting wire could be used to form the armature. Students could also embellish with bits of the fimo clay for teeth, eyes, claws, etc.  I have had success with this method, painting over with metallic paints and wrapping with cloth strips, wire and bright colored string.
                My students will be doing a project using bottles also.  My idea was inspired by a lesson in the September or October issue of School Arts.
                Best of luck, sounds like a really great project!
                Diane

              • Garie Sim
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Happy New Year Makio Kawashima, we are happy to share our projects.
                  Anyway, our Chinese New Year is on 26th Jan 2009, welcoming the year of the OX.
                  I love the kites that the kids made, it is always interesting to teach children to make
                  something that they can play with or use them as functioning item. Play is the key in
                  educating the kids.
                  Regards,
                  Garie Sim,
                  http://gariesim.blogspot.com
                  http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/learning.htm
                  http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/index.html

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Makio Kawashima" <kawama@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you for the great info Garie!
                  >
                  > Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
                  > http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/kite.html
                  > Welcoming The Year Of The Ox,2009
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Makio KAWASHIMA
                  > Art Teacher
                  > Shinozaki Elementary School Art Museum
                  > http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/zukou4.html
                  > http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/pasokon2.html
                  > Art Lessons and Ideas for Teachers
                  > http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/artcommunal/lessonplans.htm
                  > STUDENT ART GALLERIES
                  > http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/Schoolgallery.htm

                • Makio Kawashima
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Hi Garie ,
                    New clay project :clay characters in gashapon.

                    Regards,
                    Makio Kawashima,

                    Happy New Year Makio Kawashima, we are happy to share our projects.
                    Anyway, our Chinese New Year is on 26th Jan 2009, welcoming the year of the OX.
                    I love the kites that the kids made, it is always interesting to teach children to make
                    something that they can play with or use them as functioning item. Play is the key in
                    educating the kids.
                    Regards,
                    Garie Sim,
                    http://gariesim. blogspot. com
                    http://www.garieint ernational. com.sg/clay/ learning. htm
                    http://www.garieint ernational. com.sg/clay/ index.html

                    --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Makio Kawashima" <kawama@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you for the great info Garie!
                    >
                    > Here's my Japanese New Year Projects with kids, using Washi
                    > http://www5f. biglobe.ne. jp/~eLearning/ kite.html
                    > Welcoming The Year Of The Ox,2009
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Makio KAWASHIMA
                    > Art Teacher
                    > Shinozaki Elementary School Art Museum
                    > http://www.edogawak u.ed.jp/shinozak is/zukou4. html
                    > http://www.edogawak u.ed.jp/shinozak is/pasokon2. html
                    > Art Lessons and Ideas for Teachers
                    > http://www006. upp.so-net. ne.jp/artcommuna l/lessonplans. htm
                    > STUDENT ART GALLERIES
                    > http://www5f. biglobe.ne. jp/~eLearning/ Schoolgallery. htm

                  • Garie Sim
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Hi, You can used the gashapan to create snow globe,
                      http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/globe.htm
                      Thanks for your information.
                      Regards,
                      Garie

                    • playgrouppaintings
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                        Hello! I have used Sculpey clay frequently over the past few years
                        in my classes. It does adhere to glass provided the glass isn't waxy
                        or greasy so make sure they (or you) wipe with alcohol first. If it
                        falls off later they can just tacky glue it back on. I've also used
                        it on the paper mache boxes, wood, silverware (metal), and freeform.
                        A little bit of that clay does go a long way so you could probably
                        get away with splitting one brick between 4 children. They should
                        keep the pieces somewhat thin. I just came from Michaels and they
                        were on sale for .99 each, but other than that they are more
                        expensive.

                        Aside from cost I have found the following pitfalls when working with
                        polymer clay and kids:

                        1. White burns in the oven and turns brown regardless of the
                        temperature. So unless you are going to sit and watch it, don't use
                        white as your predominant color.
                        2. Metallic colors are squishier than the others and make a mess on
                        their hands. Make sure that they use these colors last so they don't
                        bleed on the other colors from their hands - or avoid altogether.
                        3. Along the lines of #2, make sure that the children work from the
                        lightest color to the darkest color so that the darker and brighter
                        colors don't transfer from their fingers onto the lighter colors.
                        4. You do need access to a sink as their hands get quite 'colorful'.
                        5. Just make sure the clay is kept sort of the same thickness
                        throughout the piece.

                        Also, on a positive note, they love making the canes. If you google
                        polymer clay you can find pretty good instructions as to how to teach
                        it. This also makes the clay go a long way.

                        Candle votives covered in the clay work well as they are small and
                        thus use less clay. They can assemble the dragons on the table then
                        adhere them before you bake it.

                        Sorry for the long post! Lee

                        wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > I am thinking of doing a project for the Chinese new year with my
                        6th
                        > grade. Usually, I do clay, or paper or painted dragons. I've many
                        > different kinds, but still as the artist in me-- wants to find
                        other
                        > ways- one to keep it fresh for me and that makes it more motivating
                        > teach it.
                        > I saw an example of Fimo clay on bottles. I was wondering if any
                        of
                        > you have done these? Is the glass bottle okay in the oven? Did you
                        use
                        > a regular glass bottle- would the clay protect it. I"m think of a
                        > upright dragon-- cover it in various patterns of colored clay and
                        then
                        > the kids can make the head, limbs and tail out of the clay as well.
                        > Only Fimo comes in such small packages, it can be costly. Need to
                        find
                        > smaller bottles, perhaps.
                        > I am going to try covering bottle left over from NYE today-
                        > hopefully, I won't have a mess in my oven.
                        > Marianna

                      • Terri Noell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                          one more hint: if you check with Michaels or their website...you can write up a grant for the clay and tools...never hurts to give it a try!
                          Terri
                          k-5 Fla.