Mosaics- Suggestions Needed

  • mmurray5550
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
      I have been asked to teach a parent/child Mosaic class (actually middle
      school kids with any adult). It will be four sessions (2 hours each)
      and it has a sizeable supply budget (about $20.00 per)...
      I am looking for suggestions- I am thinking about having students
      design and make mirrors with mosaic frames but I am not locked into
      this. My thought was to use a piece of water resistant masonite or
      plywood - mount the mirror on the board and apply the mosaic pieces
      around. I am considering purchasing some tiles but also thinking about
      having the students make some tiles from low fire white or red clay.
      They could apply underglaze to the tiles (leatherhard) and perhaps I
      would glaze them with a clear glaze after a bisque. (Has anyone done
      this in a single fire process?)
      As for the purchased mosaic pieces - any suggestions? I am considering
      using bath or flooring ceramic tiles which students would break
      (Inside a bag) but wondering how dangerous this is for middleschoolers?
      (I have done this on my own but not with kids...)
      Any help would be appreciated!
    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
        I have 3 suggestions:   do you live near a Hobby Lobby or a Michaels Craft store?     They have really nice mirrors with unfinished wooden frames around them.   They frequently have 1/2 price sales and also coupons.   Also it's not really the time of year for garage sales but maybe you could hit up some thrift stores for flat plates, teacups and other types of china to add interest to the tiles.  I like to mix in patterns with the solids.     Also, when breaking the tiles/plates/china up it works really good if you put them inside a large heavy empty dog food bag and then hit them with a hammer.     Eventually you will break holes thru it but it lasts a long time and the shards stay in the bag and don't fly around the room.
        Cindy

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          I do mosaics with my students every other year. We've done two
          projects. One is a tribit (hotplate for the dinner table) and we use
          a special cement grout mix from Home depot. Lowe's will tell you that
          cement and grout do not come mixed together adn no such product exists
          int he world, but Home depot has it. It's a bit expensive compared to
          traditional cement or grout, but it is wet and premixed and lasts
          forever! The advantage, and why I use it is, we use flat glass marbles
          (which I get from Micheal's arts and crafts, but you can also get form
          the the dollar tree and other discount chains) and you don't have to
          grout it after its adhered to the cement. If you had to do that, you
          would virtually lose all your design as the grout would come over the
          rounded edges and eclipse it. I try really hard to get the bags of
          marbles for .99 or less.
          To do this, you will need about two and half bags per person for
          an 8x8 sized wood flat. I use cheap or scrap wood and cut them
          square, have the kids sand the edges some, more for a finished look
          and than add duct tape 360 around the wood. I add the grout/cement to
          the board with a floor trowel about 1/4 inch thick and let the kids
          work out their designs. Here are a few class examples. I think they
          look better in person than they do here but you get the idea.
          http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=31846. These were
          made by kids in k-8th grade. You can tell who the younger and older
          kids are by their design structure so you might be able to guess how
          well your students will do. To finish them off, we just painted the
          wood black on the edges, or I told the parents how to add molding on
          their own. That could be something you could make part of your class
          though.
          The project after grout/cement, marbles and wood cost me just under
          $4 a student. We also done reverse method mosaics which take longer
          but work well if you need or want a flat surface and are using lots of
          different width tiles. You draw your design out and glue the piece
          face done to heavy paper, ex. butcher paper, and then flip it over on
          the flat surface that has cement on it. Press it into place, not too
          hard, and than wait a day. Then use a hot water to help separate the
          paper from the tiles. Grout and treat. This is how I did mosaics
          when I did them, because I used lots of different tiles sizes. Be
          sure to get a cement that holds your tiles. You may have to get a
          mixed purpose or all purpose cement that holds porous and nonporous
          materials depending on what your tiles are. If you get a cement that
          needs porous tiles and you add plate pieces, it will simply fall out
          over time.
          Have fun!
          Regards,
          Brandy