About your daughter's portfolio!

  • Joan Maresh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2008
      Hello Brenda,
      I had the privilege in each of my three schools to be the AP
      instructor in my incredible 34 year career. See examples of student
      high school portfolios in my virtual art room at: http://www.artworkontheweb.com/gallery
      My coaching for your daughter is to draw, draw, draw, from life. Take
      a subject and interpret it from all angles. For example a bike could
      be drawn in pencil, in contour, in value in charcoal, in markers
      focusing on the negative space, put a model on the bike, do a series
      of bike drawings and overlap them on a sheet of colored paper, then do
      a complimentary color harmony painting problem, do another study of
      the bike in black and white and gray. Your daughter's portfolio should
      show progress and growth as well as innovation with her point of view
      and her experimental use of media. Sketchbook pages can be shown, as
      well as other subject matter. A self portrait looking through the
      spokes of the bikes wheels or reflected in the bikes shiny parts. Any
      thread or theme can be investigated and artists like Picasso who went
      through a Rose Period and a Blue Period could spark ideas for your
      daughter. You could also begin with some reflective questions about
      the kinds of subject matter she loves...what is she passionate about.
      Encourage her to see herself being accepted into the program- just as
      teaching is a "self fulfilling prophecy...you get what you believe
      you'll get. Hope these ideas help! Any questions? Email me.
      Blessings, Joan jmh5@...