Really need help for my daughter's portfolio!

  • Brenda Robson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2008
      My daughter just visited the Art high school in our area and now wants
      to attend.
      Only a few kids will get in with a portfolio review. They like no art
      from photos.
      Most of her art though stated with photography. I need some
      observation lessons with PUNCH!
      Can any of you high school teachers help me?
      I really want to help her in a very short period of time.

      Brenda
      PS I may post her portfolio and ask for some selection help if you
      all wouldn't mind.

      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/artroom/Brenda/Brenda.html
      http://www.portraitartist.com/robson/
    • Suzette Milam-Morrow
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2008
        Brenda,
        I taught AP for 8 years. The most successful observational images for
        portfolios are high contrast white or black still life items. I had the kids
        do one on black paper with a white prisma color pencil and another on white
        paper with ebony pencil. I offered a counter full of choices of all white
        objects and another with all black stuff. The favorites tended to be Chinese
        food boxes and paper airplanes. However, white tennis, toilet paper rolls,
        envelopes, etc were also often eye popping drawings. It is a great way to
        talk about composition and how to set up an interesting view point too.
        Another good way to get your daughter excited about still life (which might
        be an oxymoron) is to ask her to set up five objects that are her most
        prized possessions. If the kids care about the subject they take a more
        careful approach to the execution.
        Finally, the most important piece she should include is a self portrait.
        Looking in the mirror with dramatic lighting is always a great start. She
        can get creative with the background but start out with real life observed
        face you know best.

        Best Wishes,
        Suzette Milam-Morrow