RE: [art_education] High School List Group

  • Kerri Gordon
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008
      I love the self-reflection aspect...I never even thought of doing that!  Great idea!
      I usually write down 5 objectives on their project which are worth 5 points...for a total score of 20 pts for each project.  I also make sure to include time/effort since I usually get 4-5 students who finish in 1 day or less;(
      Do you give students a list of their projects for the whole semester? or do you go week by week?

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008
        Hi-
        for high school, I give out handouts with the assignment spelled out and assessment on the bottom, according to the goals of the project, always adding in ten points for time on task and working to the best of their ability.  For my freshmen, I also give them a self- assessment at the end of each project where they grade themselves and I grade them- so, 10 points for time on task, 10 points for composition, 10 points for values, etc etc, as well as three quick questions of, what were you happiest with, what did you struggle on, what did you think was the most successful part of the project...takes some time to grade, but then there's no "why did I get this grade"? and they are pretty good about grading themselves- and it gives me a chance to "hear" them by justifying their grade.  I started doing that when I had a parent complain that their student got a 96 on a project when their friend got a 98, so this is my bullet proof method.  Plus, as a bonus, my superintendent loved it when she observed my class.

        --
        MaryJo Rosania

        --
        MaryJo Rosania

      • Kelly Moncure

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008
            Mike,

            There are those of us on the list that are a combo of grade levels. I for many years taught High School and Middle School but now teach Elementary and High School.

            It seems from my observations High School and Middle School teachers do not use the listserv's as much as the Elementary Art teachers do.

            Feel free to post a question or discussion topic and I am sure it will be addressed.

            Jeff (Minnesota)

            > Is anyone in an Art Educator list group that is made up of
            > mostly high
            > school art teachers that they could turn me on to? Most of
            > the issues
            > in this group pertain to elementary school teachers and I
            > am not
            > relating.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mike Prendergast
            > Lawndale, CA
            >
            > http://www.lawndalehs.org/apps/album/index.jsp?
            > dir=44263&backLink=&backTitle=&rn=7561651
          • Holly Clement
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008
              I teach K-12, I'd love to talk about hear or elementary! I'm a first year teacher so I have mostly been listening!

              I have a question for the K-12 teachers out there. How do you prep for 13 grade levels without going crazy? (I'm doing ok, but its a struggle!) How do you set up your room to accomadate 5 year-olds and 18 year-olds?

              Holly
              Art

              There are those of us on the list that are a combo of grade levels. I for many years taught High School and Middle School but now teach Elementary and High School.

              It seems from my observations High School and Middle School teachers do not use the listserv's as much as the Elementary Art teachers do.

              Feel free to post a question or discussion topic and I am sure it will be addressed.

              Jeff (Minnesota)

              > Is anyone in an Art Educator list group that is made up of
              > mostly high
              > school art teachers that they could turn me on to? Most of
              > the issues
              > in this group pertain to elementary school teachers and I
              > am not
              > relating.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Mike Prendergast
              > Lawndale, CA
              >
              > http://www.lawndalehs.org/apps/album/index.jsp?
              > dir=44263&backLink=&backTitle=&rn=7561651
            • Marianne
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008

                I'm a former elementary art teacher who now teaches high school and middle school, and everytime I have posted questions to the list I have gotten lots of great responses. We/they are out there...start a topic.

                Marianne

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Moncure <kc_artworks@...> wrote:

                > me too!  High school through and through!

              • MJ Smith
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Good question.

                  I group k-1, 2-3, 4, 5-6, 7-8 and 9-12. That gives me six preps instead of 13 preps.

                  My room is set up with eight tables (2 sets of four tables in a pod) The smaller kids sit in the bigger seats but i have a wooden step for them to climb up to the sink to wash their hands.

                  I don't know how else to do this except it has been working for two years.

                  Best of luck.

                  Jennifer
                  K-12 Art Teacher
                  Norphlet, Arkansas

                  "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Holly and all

                    My Elementary classes all run using "centers": drawing, painting, collage, construction, clay, printmaking, collage, computer, art appreciation. So the only prep is organizing the demo's each grade level needs. The students otherwise are working on independent projects they develop from different centers. I have grades K,3,4,5 three sections each. I see each section once a week for 55 mins. So all together 36 days of elementary art for the year. I have my Elementary art classes in the morning and my high school classes in the afternoon.

                    I have four high school classes to prep for Art History, Studio Art, Art Technology and Independent Art. The Independent Art develop their own working program so prep is very simple. My high school classes are mixed grade level of 9,10,11,12.

                    This whole process gets much easier after the first and second year as you get a routine down. The start up is the killer and once that hurdle is covered it does get manageable.

                    All students have folders. Some elementary and upper grade level supplies are separated while others are shared. I use large tables instead of individual desk. I have great storage cabinets. Everything is labeled. Organization is vital in working with a k-12 program.

                    Jeff (Minnesota)

                    > I teach K-12, I'd love to talk about hear or elementary!
                    > I'm a first year teacher so I have mostly been
                    > listening!
                    >
                    > I have a question for the K-12 teachers out there. How do
                    > you prep for 13 grade levels without going crazy? (I'm
                    > doing ok, but its a struggle!) How do you set up your room
                    > to accomadate 5 year-olds and 18 year-olds?
                    >
                    > Holly
                    > Art

                  • Makio Kawashima
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
                      List members,

                      Most of the issues in this galleries  pertain to elementary school teachers and you are relating.
                      Thanks,

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
                        How do you handle work turned in late?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008

                          I am getting a new (bigger!) art room in the spring. After reading up on “centers” that is the direction I would like to go in when I get to the new room. I think it will be the best thing for the kids but, I am just worried about the prep for the centers being a very big job. I only see my K-6 students once a week, I have them in the afternoon. My high school classes are Art 2, which is mostly self directed study, Photography, Art 1 & Ceramics, which will become JH art next semester. Do you have any examples posted online of activities you would have going on in the centers or photos of your classroom layout? I’m getting ready to move my room so it’s a great time for me to see how other people have their rooms set up!!

                          Thanks Jeff, and everyone else for posting great ideas. This first year is rough!

                          My Elementary classes all run using "centers": drawing, painting, collage, construction, clay, printmaking, collage, computer, art appreciation. So the only prep is organizing the demo's each grade level needs. The students otherwise are working on independent projects they develop from different centers. I have grades K,3,4,5 three sections each. I see each section once a week for 55 mins. So all together 36 days of elementary art for the year. I have my Elementary art classes in the morning and my high school classes in the afternoon.

                          I have four high school classes to prep for Art History, Studio Art, Art Technology and Independent Art. The Independent Art develop their own working program so prep is very simple. My high school classes are mixed grade level of 9,10,11,12.

                          This whole process gets much easier after the first and second year as you get a routine down. The start up is the killer and once that hurdle is covered it does get manageable.

                          All students have folders. Some elementary and upper grade level supplies are separated while others are shared. I use large tables instead of individual desk. I have great storage cabinets. Everything is labeled. Organization is vital in working with a k-12 program.

                          Jeff ( Minnesota )

                          > I teach K-12, I'd love to talk about hear or elementary!
                          > I'm a first year teacher so I have mostly been
                          > listening!
                          >
                          > I have a question for the K-12 teachers out there. How do
                          > you prep for 13 grade levels without going crazy? (I'm
                          > doing ok, but its a struggle!) How do you set up your room
                          > to accomadate 5 year-olds and 18 year-olds?
                          >
                          > Holly
                          > Art

                          w:st="on">CA

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
                            Hang in there...it gets better!!! It used to struggle, but now find it very fun and exciting to have different groups of kids all day long...i'm in my 9th year of teaching and it's become old hat...
                            I used to start out by grouping my K-1/2-3/4-5th grades together...I'm also lucky that our school gives us 2 preps one semester and one prep another semester...I also start "prepping" for other grades/classes after I've presented a lesson and the kids are busy working...especially high school...they are soo independent, that I usually "prep" when they are not asking for help and working hard.
                            Good luck!!!:)

                            Kerri
                            K-12 Art Teacher

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
                              My assignment sheets all include a rubric with the grading criteria
                              which I go over at the beginning of the project. When the kids
                              say "is this good enough" I direct them to the grading criteria /
                              objectives and tell them to decide if they think it is "enough." They
                              are required to self evaluate before they turn in the project.
                              My basic rubric is used on Incredible Art Department for many of the
                              posted projects. Example on this lesson plan:
                              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Ken-Figure.htm

                              Marianne in Ohio

                              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Gordon <Kerri_Gordon@...>

                              <mprender8888@...<mailto:mprender8888@...>> wrote:

                              > Is anyone in an Art Educator list group that is made up of mostly
                              high
                              > school art teachers that they could turn me on to? Most of the
                              issues
                              > in this group pertain to elementary school teachers and I am not
                              > relating.
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Mike Prendergast
                              > Lawndale, CA
                              >
                              > http://www.lawndalehs.org/apps/album/index.jsp?
                              > dir=44263&backLink=&backTitle=&rn=7561651
                              >

                              > --
                              > MaryJo Rosania

                            • MaryJo Rosania
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 6, 2008
                                Well, what I usually do is at the start of the semester I give them a syllabus - and I tell them it is subject to change....
                                just in case I develop a new lesson, so decide something would work better in another place.
                                Right now I am teaching 4 levels of photography - which is a new thing for me, since the school I just left had one level - and it was digital (this is darkroom and digital) and I wrote the course at the other school....so I feel like i have been developing a photo program for about 3 years. The classes I taught at my last school that I had been consistently teaching for 7 years I had down by year 5 - I knew what worked and the time it took to do it - I also just went from 80 minute periods on a block schedule to 40 minute, traditional schedule. So that was a switch. there is never enough time to get anything done - although 40 minutes is perfect for a critique.

                                What kind of lessons are you doing that the students are finishing so fast, are they just rushing? do you see them everyday? maybe you can give some longer lessons? what course(s) are you teaching?
                                MaryJo

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 6, 2008
                                  I teach 8th and 9th grades, Most of my projects are worth 100 points,
                                  I use a rubric that includes:
                                  40 points following directions (including all things I ask for)
                                  20 points creativity and interest
                                  20 points over all neatness
                                  20 points staying on task and working to potential
                                  I mark off 5 points if there is no name, date and class period on
                                  the back, 5 points off if over a week late,then for every day late
                                  after a week 1 point per day. Wanda

                                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "reen shannon" <reens@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > How do you handle work turned in late?

                                  12/3/2008 9:34 AM

                                • Ken
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    From reading the membership applications to this group, there are many
                                    secondary art teachers on the list. They seem to be a much quieter
                                    bunch than the elementary teachers.

                                    Ken Rohrer
                                    List Moderator

                                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "mprender8888"

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 7, 2008
                                      For me, late work is a "case by case" basis -- but the kids do not know that....
                                      they know that after a project is started, and presented, I will post a due date - which is very fair and reasonable.
                                      If they do not have it done by the due date for some reason like being sick, or having a pass to guidance for a day...something legit, I do not take off.
                                      If it is late because they fooled around when they should have been working, etc...I will take off 5 points a day.
                                      (I very rarely have to do this) and if not this, then I will take off from the "Effort and Self-Motivation" grade -that specifically says next to it (working in class, taking initiative, etc)
                                      so that is how I handle it.

                                      If a kid wants to take a project home because they are really into it, or work more on it, I don't usually take off, but they are expected to start the next thing, and hand that in on time too.
                                      hope this helps,
                                      MaryJo

                                      On Dec 5, 2008, at 7:17 AM, reen shannon wrote:

                                      How do you handle work turned in late?

                                      me too!  High school through and through!

                                      I don't know - but I am a high school teacher...
                                      let's talk about high school :)
                                      I'm up for it!
                                      MaryJo

                                      On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:57 PM, mprender8888 <mprender8888@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                      Is anyone in an Art Educator list group that is made up of mostly high
                                      school art teachers that they could turn me on to? Most of the issues
                                      in this group pertain to elementary school teachers and I am not
                                      relating.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Mike Prendergast
                                      Lawndale, CA

                                      http://www.lawndale hs.org/apps/ album/index. jsp?
                                      dir=44263&backLink=&backTitle=&rn=7561651

                                      --
                                      MaryJo Rosania

                                      Checked by AVG.

                                    • Suzette Milam-Morrow
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 7, 2008
                                        Mike and others-
                                        I'm a 20 year h.s. veteran. I have taught Art1,2,3, Advanced Placement
                                        Studio Drawing, 2-d ,3-d, Ceramics, Computer Graphics and Yearbook. Bring on
                                        the questions.

                                        I'm now starting art on a cart in elementary schools and know NOTHING about
                                        how to make multiple steps of mess making happen off a cart and then get it
                                        all to another place. And, then switch to another lesson. I am busy making
                                        visual aids, since I don't have any of that stuff anymore ether. Life is
                                        funny and always a challenge, ah? I really appreciate all the help from
                                        everyone here.