Re:Texture Lesson..

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
      The texture of the bark of a tree makes interesting impressions.Leaves give interesting textures too.These activities teach the kids to appreciate nature.
      You can try impressions of coins in various denominations...kids keep the coin under the paper and rub the  pencil on it to get amazing impressions.They also learb about coins and money this way.

      Have fun with textures!!!

      Kamla
      Chennai,India

    • Marianne
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
        When I taught elementary I had my kinders go on a texture hunt. It is
        amazing what they could find to do rubbings of in my room - especially
        with the help of a few well-placed objects that I brought in - a basket
        on my desk, a ball of twine, whatever you can think of to have "lying
        around." Also, the bottoms of their shoes provide a variety of different
        patterns to rub, and they love trying to rub each others shoes WITHOUT
        taking them off!

        Marianne in Ohio

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "shellysart" <shellysart@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello again,
        >
        > I am attempting to do a Texture lesson with my kindergarteners and am
        > in need of some ideas for use with rubbings (next week).
        >
        > I am limited to 45 minutes for the lesson (no additional sessions) and
        > would like to do something seasonal for winter/holidays.
        >
        > If anyone has any great ideas that they have used, I would appreciate
        > it!
        >
        > Also limited with materials and want to stay away from ""crafts" as my
        > focus is the Art Elements. These kids already do alot of crafts with
        > their regular teacher.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        > Shelly in Seattle

      • Alyssa
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
          HI Shelly,
          I received 3 boxes of stuff from a local architecture firm and 5 bags
          of samples from an interior design group. I have been using the fabric
          for various textile art lessons but the odd metal samples and tiles
          have been great for rubbings. It is also a lot of fun to make the
          rubbings into a collage or draw a picture of a person and then use
          rubbings to create the clothes.
          Alyssa San Diego