Re: Texture Lesson..

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
      My K's are currently making a texture quilt...more cold weather
      related than holiday season.

      We looked at images of quilts, talked about shapes and patterns they
      saw. They were able to try a variety of textures out on small squares
      (4x4)and are gluing them to a piece of construction paper in the
      color of their choice. They are loving the "puzzle" aspect of getting
      all of the pieces just they way they want them before I give them
      glue. Most made more squares than they needed so there was lots of
      decision making.

      My classes are 1/2 periods (only 25 minutes) so i broke the lesson up
      over a few classes. We are also going to make collage versions of
      ourselves to go under the quilt.

      - Jessica

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "shellysart" <shellysart@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello again,
      >
      > I am attempting to do a Texture lesson with my kindergarteners and
      am
      > in need of some ideas for use with rubbings (next week).
      >
      > I am limited to 45 minutes for the lesson (no additional sessions)
      and
      > would like to do something seasonal for winter/holidays.
      >
      > If anyone has any great ideas that they have used, I would
      appreciate
      > it!
      >
      > Also limited with materials and want to stay away from ""crafts" as
      my
      > focus is the Art Elements. These kids already do alot of crafts
      with
      > their regular teacher.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help.
      >
      > Shelly in Seattle

    • kamla ravikumar
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
        The texture of the bark of a tree makes interesting impressions.Leaves give interesting textures too.These activities teach the kids to appreciate nature.
        You can try impressions of coins in various denominations...kids keep the coin under the paper and rub the  pencil on it to get amazing impressions.They also learb about coins and money this way.

        Have fun with textures!!!

        Kamla
        Chennai,India

      • Marianne
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
          When I taught elementary I had my kinders go on a texture hunt. It is
          amazing what they could find to do rubbings of in my room - especially
          with the help of a few well-placed objects that I brought in - a basket
          on my desk, a ball of twine, whatever you can think of to have "lying
          around." Also, the bottoms of their shoes provide a variety of different
          patterns to rub, and they love trying to rub each others shoes WITHOUT
          taking them off!

          Marianne in Ohio

          wrote:

          > Hello again,
          >
          > I am attempting to do a Texture lesson with my kindergarteners and am
          > in need of some ideas for use with rubbings (next week).
          >
          > I am limited to 45 minutes for the lesson (no additional sessions) and
          > would like to do something seasonal for winter/holidays.
          >
          > If anyone has any great ideas that they have used, I would appreciate
          > it!
          >
          > Also limited with materials and want to stay away from ""crafts" as my
          > focus is the Art Elements. These kids already do alot of crafts with
          > their regular teacher.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your help.
          >
          > Shelly in Seattle

        • Alyssa
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
            HI Shelly,
            I received 3 boxes of stuff from a local architecture firm and 5 bags
            of samples from an interior design group. I have been using the fabric
            for various textile art lessons but the odd metal samples and tiles
            have been great for rubbings. It is also a lot of fun to make the
            rubbings into a collage or draw a picture of a person and then use
            rubbings to create the clothes.
            Alyssa San Diego