Texture Lesson..

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
      Hello again,

      I am attempting to do a Texture lesson with my kindergarteners and am
      in need of some ideas for use with rubbings (next week).

      I am limited to 45 minutes for the lesson (no additional sessions) and
      would like to do something seasonal for winter/holidays.

      If anyone has any great ideas that they have used, I would appreciate
      it!

      Also limited with materials and want to stay away from ""crafts" as my
      focus is the Art Elements. These kids already do alot of crafts with
      their regular teacher.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Shelly in Seattle
    • Jessica
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
        My K's are currently making a texture quilt...more cold weather
        related than holiday season.

        We looked at images of quilts, talked about shapes and patterns they
        saw. They were able to try a variety of textures out on small squares
        (4x4)and are gluing them to a piece of construction paper in the
        color of their choice. They are loving the "puzzle" aspect of getting
        all of the pieces just they way they want them before I give them
        glue. Most made more squares than they needed so there was lots of
        decision making.

        My classes are 1/2 periods (only 25 minutes) so i broke the lesson up
        over a few classes. We are also going to make collage versions of
        ourselves to go under the quilt.

        - Jessica

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "shellysart" <shellysart@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello again,
        >
        > I am attempting to do a Texture lesson with my kindergarteners and
        am
        > in need of some ideas for use with rubbings (next week).
        >
        > I am limited to 45 minutes for the lesson (no additional sessions)
        and
        > would like to do something seasonal for winter/holidays.
        >
        > If anyone has any great ideas that they have used, I would
        appreciate
        > it!
        >
        > Also limited with materials and want to stay away from ""crafts" as
        my
        > focus is the Art Elements. These kids already do alot of crafts
        with
        > their regular teacher.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        > Shelly in Seattle

      • kamla ravikumar
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
          The texture of the bark of a tree makes interesting impressions.Leaves give interesting textures too.These activities teach the kids to appreciate nature.
          You can try impressions of coins in various denominations...kids keep the coin under the paper and rub the  pencil on it to get amazing impressions.They also learb about coins and money this way.

          Have fun with textures!!!

          Kamla
          Chennai,India

        • Marianne
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
            When I taught elementary I had my kinders go on a texture hunt. It is
            amazing what they could find to do rubbings of in my room - especially
            with the help of a few well-placed objects that I brought in - a basket
            on my desk, a ball of twine, whatever you can think of to have "lying
            around." Also, the bottoms of their shoes provide a variety of different
            patterns to rub, and they love trying to rub each others shoes WITHOUT
            taking them off!

            Marianne in Ohio

            wrote:

            > Hello again,
            >
            > I am attempting to do a Texture lesson with my kindergarteners and am
            > in need of some ideas for use with rubbings (next week).
            >
            > I am limited to 45 minutes for the lesson (no additional sessions) and
            > would like to do something seasonal for winter/holidays.
            >
            > If anyone has any great ideas that they have used, I would appreciate
            > it!
            >
            > Also limited with materials and want to stay away from ""crafts" as my
            > focus is the Art Elements. These kids already do alot of crafts with
            > their regular teacher.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your help.
            >
            > Shelly in Seattle

          • Alyssa
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
              HI Shelly,
              I received 3 boxes of stuff from a local architecture firm and 5 bags
              of samples from an interior design group. I have been using the fabric
              for various textile art lessons but the odd metal samples and tiles
              have been great for rubbings. It is also a lot of fun to make the
              rubbings into a collage or draw a picture of a person and then use
              rubbings to create the clothes.
              Alyssa San Diego