Fwd: clay question

  • Lenny Sanz
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Lenny Sanz <elfbab@...>
      > Date: November 12, 2008 8:42:40 PM EST
      > To: arteducation@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: clay question
      >
      > We were making "animal banks" in ceramics.
      > There are some kids who want to keep the animals
      > closed- not a bank. (these are made by attaching 2
      > pinch pots together) Do i have to poke a small hole in these enclosed
      > balls so they don't explode in the kiln?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Donna

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
        Yes you have to poke a hole.  Anytime you trap air inside the clay it will explode when heated.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
          yes, and let the pieces get good and dry before firing for a better result. often handbuilt items have varied wall thicknesses and the more evenly dry they are the less they tend to crack during firing.
          if you have more questions about how to fire a kiln feel free to email me privately or post more questions here to the forum!

          (ps. i have fired more kilns than i care to count...-)

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
            thanks, it's been a long day!
            I guess it's just one big giant air bubble!