Re: elementary art research

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
      My students do a report a semester, and I let them choose, but I also
      guide them with a list of artist and a tiny sample of their work. I
      preapprove their choice before they start the report, and I will talk
      to parents before I reject an artist like Botticelli or any of the
      Renaissance artists who paint nudes. I speak to the parents about not
      showing "inappropriate" examples of the artist works in the posters.
      We have done several reports- one was from the Art department list
      and it was a present box for the artist- three items that related to
      the artist and they had to share why they choose those items. The
      next was a wanted poster- choose an artist and their crime. My
      favorite was a student who choose Pollack and his crime was
      abandoning a subject in his paintings.
      We've done job interview where the student had to interview for
      an art teacher position. The questions I give as the interviewer lead
      to answers about their life. I gave the questions ahead of time and
      the students could carry their answers with them on the "interview".
      It was fun, but did take longer than the posters or gift boxes. To
      keep the rest of the kids interested in what was going on, I gave them
      a bingo board and the first person to hear all the answers in a row,
      got a prize. It kept everyone's attention. I used a free bingo board
      maker on-line to create random patterns of answers. I've also used
      this game at the end of the semester just as a fun review.
      Regards,
      Brandy