elementary art research

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I am planning on having my grade 3 and 4 students do reports on an
      artist or art movement. Any suggestions for sourcing images? I am
      trying to steer clear of nudes; but at the same time I would like to
      be able to encourage students to look up the artist they choose, and I
      don't want to limit choices too much. Any tips would be appreciated! ALi
    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
        My students do a report a semester, and I let them choose, but I also
        guide them with a list of artist and a tiny sample of their work. I
        preapprove their choice before they start the report, and I will talk
        to parents before I reject an artist like Botticelli or any of the
        Renaissance artists who paint nudes. I speak to the parents about not
        showing "inappropriate" examples of the artist works in the posters.
        We have done several reports- one was from the Art department list
        and it was a present box for the artist- three items that related to
        the artist and they had to share why they choose those items. The
        next was a wanted poster- choose an artist and their crime. My
        favorite was a student who choose Pollack and his crime was
        abandoning a subject in his paintings.
        We've done job interview where the student had to interview for
        an art teacher position. The questions I give as the interviewer lead
        to answers about their life. I gave the questions ahead of time and
        the students could carry their answers with them on the "interview".
        It was fun, but did take longer than the posters or gift boxes. To
        keep the rest of the kids interested in what was going on, I gave them
        a bingo board and the first person to hear all the answers in a row,
        got a prize. It kept everyone's attention. I used a free bingo board
        maker on-line to create random patterns of answers. I've also used
        this game at the end of the semester just as a fun review.
        Regards,
        Brandy