Re: Batik

  • theresagillespie
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
      I did batik last year using washable glue (the cheap stuff the
      classroom teachers passed along to me) and watered down acrylic paint.
      The students drew the designs with the glue one day and then painted
      it the next art time. I let them completely dry and and then washed
      them in a sink of warm water -rubbing the glue off with my fingers.
      They came out really good. I did throw one class's in the washing
      machine to save time - they came out okay - but the color really
      faded. I hand washed them from that point on. I don't know if adding a
      fabric medium would help with that. I also ironed the fabric when
      they were dry.
      The students were able to control the drawing of the glue with the
      glue bottles. I used unbleached muslin from Blick for most of them -
      though I also tried some on an old white sheet.

      Theresa
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "playgrouppaintings" <lee@...>