Batik

  • Greg Hogan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      I have used rubber cement and it turns out pretty good.  The rubber cement is a little harder to work with because it doesn't spread as easy.  I have put rubber cement in a small condiment type container and you can get a thinner line.
      Hope this helps
      Greg Hogan
    • Robin Singer
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
        Greg, what is frisket?? robin
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
          HI
          I've used white crayon-- rubbed on both sides of the material.
          Really grind it into the fabric. I have also used melted wax. You can
          iron both out the same way.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "maryjo rosania"
          <mojoroneno@...> wrote:

          > Kamla,
          > I have only done batik with bees wax melted in a double boiler - it
          works so
          > well...and then after dying and letting it dry, you cover the piece
          with
          > newsprint, and put it on newsprint and with a LOW iron, melt the
          wax away.So
          > fun.
          > You just have to be very careful to keep the wax on LOW so that it
          doesn't
          > start to burn.
          > MaryJo
          >
          > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...>
          wrote:

          > > Hi,
          > > Thanks for the idea.Is there an alternative to the frisket?
          > >
          > > Kamla,
          > > Chennai,India
          > >

          > --
          > MaryJo Rosania

        • theresagillespie
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
            I did batik last year using washable glue (the cheap stuff the
            classroom teachers passed along to me) and watered down acrylic paint.
            The students drew the designs with the glue one day and then painted
            it the next art time. I let them completely dry and and then washed
            them in a sink of warm water -rubbing the glue off with my fingers.
            They came out really good. I did throw one class's in the washing
            machine to save time - they came out okay - but the color really
            faded. I hand washed them from that point on. I don't know if adding a
            fabric medium would help with that. I also ironed the fabric when
            they were dry.
            The students were able to control the drawing of the glue with the
            glue bottles. I used unbleached muslin from Blick for most of them -
            though I also tried some on an old white sheet.

            Theresa
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "playgrouppaintings" <lee@...>