Re: Batik

  • playgrouppaintings
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi, I've heard that this can be done using unbleached muslin and white
      glue. You'd mix in some textile medium into the acrylic paint to keep
      it from washing off. Once they were all dry GENTLY put them in warm
      water and the glue should come off. We're trying this next week so I'll
      let you know if it works!! I would think any cheap, not treated fabric
      (t shirt material or any cotton material) would work fine if muslin is
      either too expensive or unavailable.

      Lee

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Greg Hogan <gshogan@...> wrote:

      > Have you thought of doing something along the lines of Batik.  You
      can do a really neat idea with watercolor paper and frisket. Just
      outline the subject with frisket and use watercolor to paint the
      shapes.  Then just remove the frisket and you will have a batik looking
      art project.
      > Hope this helps.
      > Greg Hogan

    • Greg Hogan
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        I have used rubber cement and it turns out pretty good.  The rubber cement is a little harder to work with because it doesn't spread as easy.  I have put rubber cement in a small condiment type container and you can get a thinner line.
        Hope this helps
        Greg Hogan
      • Robin Singer
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
          Greg, what is frisket?? robin
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
            HI
            I've used white crayon-- rubbed on both sides of the material.
            Really grind it into the fabric. I have also used melted wax. You can
            iron both out the same way.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "maryjo rosania"
            <mojoroneno@...> wrote:

            > Kamla,
            > I have only done batik with bees wax melted in a double boiler - it
            works so
            > well...and then after dying and letting it dry, you cover the piece
            with
            > newsprint, and put it on newsprint and with a LOW iron, melt the
            wax away.So
            > fun.
            > You just have to be very careful to keep the wax on LOW so that it
            doesn't
            > start to burn.
            > MaryJo
            >
            > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...>
            wrote:

            > > Hi,
            > > Thanks for the idea.Is there an alternative to the frisket?
            > >
            > > Kamla,
            > > Chennai,India
            > >

            > --
            > MaryJo Rosania

          • theresagillespie
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
              I did batik last year using washable glue (the cheap stuff the
              classroom teachers passed along to me) and watered down acrylic paint.
              The students drew the designs with the glue one day and then painted
              it the next art time. I let them completely dry and and then washed
              them in a sink of warm water -rubbing the glue off with my fingers.
              They came out really good. I did throw one class's in the washing
              machine to save time - they came out okay - but the color really
              faded. I hand washed them from that point on. I don't know if adding a
              fabric medium would help with that. I also ironed the fabric when
              they were dry.
              The students were able to control the drawing of the glue with the
              glue bottles. I used unbleached muslin from Blick for most of them -
              though I also tried some on an old white sheet.

              Theresa
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "playgrouppaintings" <lee@...>