Re: [art_education] Re:Batik

  • reen shannon
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      A white crayon or a white candle can be used too. Just draw with it where you want the white of the paper to show.  If, after the paint is applied, and the wax lines seem to have dissapeared, you can tilt the paper to see where the original wax was applied and then take a scratch art tool and scrap the wax away to reveal the white paper.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi, I've heard that this can be done using unbleached muslin and white
        glue. You'd mix in some textile medium into the acrylic paint to keep
        it from washing off. Once they were all dry GENTLY put them in warm
        water and the glue should come off. We're trying this next week so I'll
        let you know if it works!! I would think any cheap, not treated fabric
        (t shirt material or any cotton material) would work fine if muslin is
        either too expensive or unavailable.

        Lee

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Greg Hogan <gshogan@...> wrote:

        > Have you thought of doing something along the lines of Batik.  You
        can do a really neat idea with watercolor paper and frisket. Just
        outline the subject with frisket and use watercolor to paint the
        shapes.  Then just remove the frisket and you will have a batik looking
        art project.
        > Hope this helps.
        > Greg Hogan

      • Greg Hogan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
          I have used rubber cement and it turns out pretty good.  The rubber cement is a little harder to work with because it doesn't spread as easy.  I have put rubber cement in a small condiment type container and you can get a thinner line.
          Hope this helps
          Greg Hogan
        • Robin Singer
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
            Greg, what is frisket?? robin
            Have you thought of doing something along the lines of Batik.  You can do a really neat idea with watercolor paper and frisket. Just outline the subject with frisket and use watercolor to paint the shapes.  Then just remove the frisket and you will have a batik looking art project.
            Hope this helps.
            Greg Hogan
          • Marianna
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
              HI
              I've used white crayon-- rubbed on both sides of the material.
              Really grind it into the fabric. I have also used melted wax. You can
              iron both out the same way.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "maryjo rosania"
              <mojoroneno@...> wrote:

              > Kamla,
              > I have only done batik with bees wax melted in a double boiler - it
              works so
              > well...and then after dying and letting it dry, you cover the piece
              with
              > newsprint, and put it on newsprint and with a LOW iron, melt the
              wax away.So
              > fun.
              > You just have to be very careful to keep the wax on LOW so that it
              doesn't
              > start to burn.
              > MaryJo
              >
              > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...>
              wrote:

              > > Hi,
              > > Thanks for the idea.Is there an alternative to the frisket?
              > >
              > > Kamla,
              > > Chennai,India
              > >

              > --
              > MaryJo Rosania

            • theresagillespie
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                I did batik last year using washable glue (the cheap stuff the
                classroom teachers passed along to me) and watered down acrylic paint.
                The students drew the designs with the glue one day and then painted
                it the next art time. I let them completely dry and and then washed
                them in a sink of warm water -rubbing the glue off with my fingers.
                They came out really good. I did throw one class's in the washing
                machine to save time - they came out okay - but the color really
                faded. I hand washed them from that point on. I don't know if adding a
                fabric medium would help with that. I also ironed the fabric when
                they were dry.
                The students were able to control the drawing of the glue with the
                glue bottles. I used unbleached muslin from Blick for most of them -
                though I also tried some on an old white sheet.

                Theresa
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "playgrouppaintings" <lee@...>