Re: [art_education] new job

  • Jeff Pridie
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
      MaryJo,

      Use your examples as stated below but also write up some examples of Elementary Art Projects that you would consider using these same areas or other areas.

      What would be your discipline process for Elementary Students, Middle School or High School.

      Attaching your lessons with state/national standards connected to them.

      Types of assessments you would give students to check level of understanding.

      If you did student portfolio's what kind of documentation would be in them.

      Examples of your own work.

      Your philosophy of Art Education.

      These are things we have asked for in our selection of new art instructors in our district.

      Jeff (Minnesota)

      > Hello all,I need an opinion....I have been teaching high
      > school for 8 years
      > and will be moving in the summer -- therefore I will be
      > looking for a new
      > job. In my search, and after thinking about it I have
      > decided to look for an
      > elementary art job (or to increase my search to include all
      > grades.)
      > Have any of you ever been on a hiring committee? If so, as
      > I build my
      > portfolio to show at interviews, what sort of work would an
      > elementary panel
      > like to see? I have every medium represented - but all the
      > student work is
      > high school student work....I tried to include alot of pics
      > of my actual
      > students working and some things I thought would translate
      > well to the
      > elementary level.
      > Any suggestions? I am open to anything.
      > Right now I have ceramics, painting, printmaking,
      > sculpture, photography,
      > and paper cutting....
      > thanks!
      > MaryJo
      >

      > --
      > MaryJo Rosania
    • maryjo rosania
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
        thank you Jeff-
        In my high school classes I do alot of self assessment and rubrics...how do you handle this with elementary students? Do you have them grade themselves?
        Can anyone send me an example of an assessment you might use with an elementary level -- K-5?
        thanks again for the suggestions -- I think I will adapt some of the lessons I already put in my portfolio.
        MaryJo

        --
        MaryJo Rosania

      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
          MaryJo,

          Yes you can have Elementary students do rubrics to. You can find great examples of Elementary Art Rubrics online. The key is to make sure they are less wordy and short. After you read a few take one of your own rubrics from H.S and adapt it down to an Elementary level, Middle School level. Showing how you adapted this will show and administrator your ability to monitor and adjust.

          Jeff (Minnesota)