RE: [art_education] Kids press too hard with their pencils-UGH!

  • Dean & Cathy Frederickson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
      Message
       Tricia,
      You are amazing!! Thanks SO much for sharing ‹(•¿•)›
       Cathy
    • kamla ravikumar
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2008
        Hi,

        I hold the the pencil along with the child and show them the difference in the drawing when you press the pencil hard and then I release the pressure on the pencil and show them how the drawing looks when you don't press so hard.After we finish drawing together I ask the student to use the eraser and see the difference between the two drawings after erasing.When they see the results they draw better the next time.

        It works!!!

        Kamla
        Chennai,India

      • shellysart
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2008
          Oh My Gosh, that is too cute, and too true!
          Have you had much luck since the video?

          Shelly in Seattle

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "tricia_fuglestad"
          <tricia_fuglestad@...> wrote:

          > I've been having trouble for years with my students pressing too hard
          with their pencils when
          > they draw. This means they can't erase fully when they make a mistake.
          > I'd been lecturing my students to use light sketchy lines for ever,
          but finally, I decided to have
          > the pencil itself tell his story. And, who better to interview the
          pencil, than an eraser?

          > Watch the new Fugleflicks movie here:
          > http://interviewwithpencil.notlong.com

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2008
            Tricia,

            It looks like Miss Erasure has a crush on Mr. Pencil at the end... You
            may have already mentioned this, but what program do you use to edit
            your videos?

            Ken

            <tricia_fuglestad@...> wrote:

            > I've been having trouble for years with my students pressing too
            hard with their pencils when
            > they draw. This means they can't erase fully when they make a mistake.
            > I'd been lecturing my students to use light sketchy lines for ever,
            but finally, I decided to have
            > the pencil itself tell his story. And, who better to interview the
            pencil, than an eraser?

            > Watch the new Fugleflicks movie here:
            > http://interviewwithpencil.notlong.com

          • maryjo rosania
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
              that is TOO CUTE. nice job. and the kids are so comfortable :)
              MaryJo

              --
              MaryJo Rosania

            • tricia_fuglestad
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
                Hi Ken,
                Pencils and erasers do work very closely together so crushes may develop :)

                I'm on a Mac so I used iMovie. But, I did the title screen in Keynote (apple's answer to
                powerpoint) and saved it as a quicktime.

                Tricia

                > Tricia,
                >
                > It looks like Miss Erasure has a crush on Mr. Pencil at the end... You
                > may have already mentioned this, but what program do you use to edit
                > your videos?
                >
                > Ken
                >
                > > Watch the new Fugleflicks movie here:
                > > http://interviewwithpencil.notlong.com

              • sjordanots
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Aw cute! I've learned that some kids press extra hard on pencils
                  because their brains are craving lots and lots of sensory input in
                  terms of touch and pressure. The harder the write, the more their brain
                  can "feel" the pencil. By giving another kind of sensory input, the
                  brain can get satisfied with the feeling without the risk of snapping
                  the lead off. You can use nubby pencil grips, wrap the end in fabric or
                  leather lacing, wrap it with tape facing the sticky side out, or using
                  a heavier writing utensil. Also, modifying the texture of the paper can
                  give some interesting results. I've even had kids write their name with
                  a bunch of different writing utensils and seen some fun results. Its
                  not across the board effective, but definitely discourages some kids
                  from carving into the desk with their writing muscles.

                  Continue having fun with your students!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                    Great! I have both programs. I taught my son a little about iMovie so
                    he can edit the movies he posts to YouTube. Now he can see what is
                    possible with iMovie by watching a few of your movies. Aren't Macs
                    wonderful?

                    Ken