Here's an awesome artist to tie into marine life paintings

  • linda
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
      I found her this morning while surfing for marine life painters. Her
      name is Jennifer Belote. Many of her paintings have a lot of depth
      and overlapping, one of the main reasons I like to include a marine
      life painting assignment for my 3rd graders. She has her paintings
      divided up by what ocean they are in, as well. I do my fish lesson
      while the science teacher is teaching them about marine life, parts of
      the fish, habitats, etc. We do a very involved painting that involves
      drawing a fish on xerox paper to their liking, then placing the xerox
      drawing on a window and tracing over it. They trace over their fish
      many times to create a school of overlapping fish that show a path of
      movement for the eye to follow. Then they move to the ocean floor and
      begin to draw coral, anemones, plants, shells, crustaceons, etc. A
      big part of the lesson is showing them how to create a cave, or rocks
      that create a type of frame or foreground interest to their painting.
      When they come to the path of movement fish that they traced early
      on, they can create holes in the cave for the fish to swim through, or
      they can let the fish go in front of the cave, or they can cover part
      of their school with the rocks...their choice. These paintings by
      Jennifer Belote are great examples to use to talk about these spatial
      relationships before we paint. I use a ton of Dover books on sea life
      (cut up the books and put them in folders on their tables to use one
      picture at a time) to give them examples of all sorts of marine life
      that they can include in their drawing/watercolor.

      Jennifer Belote's paintings can be seen at her website:
      http://www.beloteoceanart.com/belote/Marinelife_Index/go

      Enjoy!
      Linda
    • Alyssa Navapanich
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
        Thank you for sharing Jennifer Belote's website. Her work is really great.
        Alyssa San Diego