Discipline & Consequences

  • Joan Maresh
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hello Linda and Cindy,
      Classroom management is by far the most challenging task
      teachers take on in setting up systems in their classrooms for the year.
      It is essential that the teacher is established as the authority figure and that good citizenship
      is developed in our youth.One idea I saw in a classroom was a discipline log where all periods
      were listed and each student who received a 1st warning, 2nd warning, etc was listed on  the
      board. That student did not get any focus or attention for his/her infraction-instead a name
      was added to the board without stopping instruction. In addition, when the teacher called home
      the teacher was careful to word her statement using the word concern. Your son/daughter's
      behavior concerns me..... Using a softer voice so that students have to get quiet and listen,
      and many times other students will ask that student to be quiet so that they can hear the
      instructions. Another idea is using that energy of the misbehaving kids by having them pass
      out materials, clean paint trays and then praise them. They are now getting attention another way-a positive way.
      Yesterday I shared with my FYTs (first year teachers) two articles
      that I found online quite a while back. These were found at
      Discipline by Design and called "11 Techniques for Better Classroom
      Discipline", and Education World's "Creating a Climate for Learning:Effective
      Classroom Management Techniques,"
      Other good sources of ideas are Harry Wong's First Days of School, Ginger
      Tucker's Saving Our Greatest Resource:Helping New Teachers Succeed,
      and Ellen Kronowitz"The Teacher's Guide to Success."
      These resources are full of great ideas to assist you in establishing/finding a system
      that will work with your unique personality. in my work with first year teachers, this is
      the first egg we need to crack to get things rolling for the year. Good luck!
      Let me know if you can or cannot find these articles, maybe I can scan them or send
      them to you in Dallas.
      Blessings,
      Joan