Re: Discipline / Consequences

  • wanda smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2008
      I just want to vent for a minute on the subject of discipline. Most
      of my discipline problems come from the students who do not choose
      art as an elective but are "stuck" in art because we don't have study
      hall. I teach 8th and 9th grades, calling parents helps with the 8th
      graders unfortunately many times the parents of the 9th graders break
      down and start sobbing or agreeing because they can't control them
      either. We do have noon detention and Saturday school so I use them
      when needed. Another problem is those students don't care if
      they "learn" the correct way to use art supplies or don't improve on
      their skills. Just my venting on this rainy Saturday, but at least
      it is cool. Wanda
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <elleoz@...> wrote:

      > Hi Cindy!
      > I think we've all tried many different tactics to deal with
      discipline problems - it is a
      > constant battle to find what works for you and the situation you
      are dealing with at that
      > particular moment. I've tried: having each table earning points and
      treats (when you could
      > give treats) to those kids who were fantastic, in hopes that those
      who were problems
      > would want to improve their behavior and earn a treat, Art reports,
      time out, changing
      > seats... The most important thing to do, no matter what you choose,
      is to document the
      > behavior and the action you took to resolve the problem. This
      covers you, most
      > importantly, so if you get asked about it by a parent or
      administrator, or if the classroom
      > teacher needs the reinforcement from other teachers, you have it.
      > What I'm using is a behavior log for the student to fill out and a
      form that I have on my
      > computer that I fill in and email it to their teacher. This way the
      teacher has
      > documentation that they can use for reinforcement in their
      classroom - and it shows the
      > actions taken in your room. Also, if you give grades this will back
      you up as well.

      > The behavior log just has the date, the child's name,
      teacher/grade, and the behavior. The
      > Word document I have for my behavior form (I leave it on my
      desktop) lists Student name,
      > teacher/grade, and a space for behavior. Below that I've listed for
      checking off -Action
      > Taken: st. signed the behavior log, st. stood in time out, st.
      wrote___ sentences, st. was
      > sent to the office with a discipline referral, st. was moved to
      another table, Other_____.

      > I've also added a sheet that goes along with our IB attitudes and
      profiles. It asks the
      > students what they did, what attitude they should have used to
      resolve that situation, and
      > how they can prevent the situation from happening again. This paper
      goes back with the
      > student. I do not have a copy of that here but I can email it to
      you if you need it.

      > I hope this helps you! It is all a work in progress, constantly
      changing, so hang in there
      > and keep enjoying what you are doing!!
      >
      > Linda
      >
      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "cinzing" <cinzing@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, I am a new art teacher (elementary K-5), and I need
      > > help/suggestions for consequences for rule breaking. I have a
      reward
      > > system for class behavior and reward individual students for good
      > > behavior, but I can't seem to master giving appropriate
      consequences
      > > for individual bad behavior. I have taken away painting time,
      moved
      > > students to the edge of the room, changed seats, etc. But, this
      is
      > > not getting through to some students. It's so hard when you only
      see
      > > them for 40m then don't see them for a week.
      > >
      > > Do you have something that works well for you? Please share!
      > >
      > > Do you have any sample parent contact forms to fill out quickly to
      > > send with the student? Also, do you have any contract-type forms
      that
      > > you use where the student has to write about their rule-breaking?
      > >
      > > Thanks so much!
      > > Cindy Ingram
      > > Dallas ISD
      > > cinzing@

    • Grace LaForge
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
        Hi Wanda,

        I empathize with you...8-9th graders are challenging in themselves without discipline problems.  I teach Art in a residential treatment center - middle school and high school boys who are mandated to be here due to their behaviors in school.

        If it's any comfort, there are probably lots of kids in public schools who would benefit from an intensive setting where they and their families can receive therapy and support.  So, just know that it's not you, but a system which cannot provide enough for all kids.  With budgets becoming increasingly constrained, I see the situation will get much worse when districts can no longer afford specialized care.

        From my experience, I usually get some "buy-in" to the art program by:

            Finding out more about the student through conversations with them.  When kids know we are genuinely interested in them, that we see something good in them, they risk opening up.

            Making art is taking a big risk!  Most kids will find something to connect to in Art - if they are sure they can be successful.  Be flexible and plan an alternative, less complex project for these students,  where they can receive at least a passing grade if they comply.  (Read between the lines when students say they don't care about learning)

            In general, Detentions which don't engage you and the student tend to build walls rather than bridges.

        Projects my 8-9th graders love are ones where they learn a skill which unlocks the "secrets" of representational art like:
        1 and 2-point perspective, using shading and highlight to create the illusion of form, color mixing.
        I've taken cues from them, used 3' long graffiti lettering for a "Wall of Fame", projects using their names and lettering styles, architecture of the past, present and future and self-portraits and t-shirt designs.

        Also - if you consult with your fellow teachers and administrators - try to find someone who knows these kids and may have some insight.

        I hope this helps a little -

        Grace
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
          Question- Are the students who are "stuck" in art in the same class?
          If so, what percentage of those really want to be there?

          Ken

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "wanda smith" <wsmith72104@...>
          wrote:

          > I just want to vent for a minute on the subject of discipline. Most
          > of my discipline problems come from the students who do not choose
          > art as an elective but are "stuck" in art because we don't have study
          > hall. I teach 8th and 9th grades, calling parents helps with the 8th
          > graders unfortunately many times the parents of the 9th graders break
          > down and start sobbing or agreeing because they can't control them
          > either. We do have noon detention and Saturday school so I use them
          > when needed. Another problem is those students don't care if
          > they "learn" the correct way to use art supplies or don't improve on
          > their skills. Just my venting on this rainy Saturday, but at least
          > it is cool. Wanda
        • aaroy85
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 12, 2008
            I'm in my second year now so I know the frustration involved in
            disciplining and behavior consequences. Honestly, I didn't stay
            consistent with a specific plan however, I did find that calling the
            parents after a rough day helped an enormous amount. My principal
            really encouraged us to stay in contact with the parents for issues
            like this.

            If parents are supportive on their part I found that I had immediate
            results and the student really improved in their behavior the next week.

            For me it was all about trial and error, some of my fellow art
            educators have come up with a consequence chart all mapped out. That
            may benefit you and the students so they can look at the chart and see
            what consequence is going to happen if they still choose to act out.