Paint on Pumpkins

  • karen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      One of the third grade teachers at my school asked me about the best
      way to paint on pumpkins. She said that in the past, they have used a
      tempera paint and glue mixture. She noticed that some years the
      pumpkins come out better than others and asked what glue ratio would
      work best. Does anyone have any experience with this? I told her I had
      no idea, but I would ask the other art teachers from this listserve :)
      Thank you!
      Karen in NJ
    • MaryAnn Kohl
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        I'm not sure, but just a "little glue" in the paint, like in a cup of paint -- maybe a few tablespoons glue.

        I would instead recommend using acrylic paints if you have them.

        If not, and you want to try something new, try BioColors from Discount School Supply.

        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        MaryAnn F. Kohl
        Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.
        PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
        5241 Sand Road • Bellingham, WA  98226

        360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
        maryann@... • http://www.brightring.com
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
         23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                         Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children

        On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:30 AM, karen wrote:

        Hi everyone,

        One of the third grade teachers at my school asked me about the best
        way to paint on pumpkins. She said that in the past, they have used a
        tempera paint and glue mixture. She noticed that some years the
        pumpkins come out better than others and asked what glue ratio would
        work best. Does anyone have any experience with this? I told her I had
        no idea, but I would ask the other art teachers from this listserve :)
        Thank you!
        Karen in NJ

      • Rebecca Peters
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2008
          I teach art from home and use elmers paint markers, they work great, you can probably get them at a craft store, I got mine at wallmart. You can also put mod podge over the dry paint to seal it so it doesn't flake off.
          Rebecca Peters, Ballston Lake, NY,rebeccasartroom.com