what makes a piece an true work of art

  • who wants to know?
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
      I need a "criteria" list of what makes a piece of art truly ART

      please send to me as soon as possible, as I am needing this "list" to
      teach my students how to look at art work critically!

      I started the list with
      1) can be aestetically pleasing to the eye
      2) elicits a reaction from the viewer, (emotions)
      3)....???
    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008

        I think a true work of art includes some type of groundbreaking thinking or exploration of concepts, media, or methods in an effective way that has not been done before.   You don’t have to like it or think it is pretty but you think about the ‘why’ of it…. What was the artist exploring?

        Jan in Tampa

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
          Art is about the artists' intention...this can be a good discussion, especially if you are looking at work that students do not typically think "is really art". (i.e. Marcel DuChamp).
          I might have some lists like this at school.
          This is where Token Response works well too.
          MaryJo in PA & NJ

          --
          MaryJo Rosania

        • Martin, Jerimiah
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008

            This argument has been going on for over a hundred years (at least). You can’t describe it in a few sentences.

          • Glennis
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
              Thank you Jerimiah! I actually cringed when I saw the original
              questioned posted. Perhaps the subject can be personalized a bit by
              adding "to you?". And drop the word "true". What may be "true to me
              may not be true to anyone else. Or how about a list of questions one
              could ask oneself when viewing/hearing/feeling a work of art.

              that feels better to me.....i just don't believe there is a "true"
              answer to this age old question....

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Martin, Jerimiah"

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
                I agree.
                I think it is more than just what I said - Intention -- there is so much that students could just take the time to discuss what they feel makes a work of art valid, honest....
                and that would be the lesson.
                MaryJo

                <jemartin@...> wrote:

                > This argument has been going on for over a hundred years (at least). You
                > can't describe it in a few sentences.

                --
                MaryJo Rosania

              • Larry Seiler
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Glennis" <glennisd@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you Jerimiah! I actually cringed when I saw the original
                  > questioned posted. Perhaps the subject can be personalized a bit by
                  > adding "to you?". And drop the word "true". What may be "true to me
                  > may not be true to anyone else. Or how about a list of questions one
                  > could ask oneself when viewing/hearing/feeling a work of art.

                  - - - -

                  Yep...in truth, not many are educated even on the dialetics of
                  worldview thinking, not many realize the general worldview positions
                  people adapt thru enculturation and education...(some of the major
                  worldview positions are- secular humanism, cosmic humanism, Marxism,
                  Biblical...etc.,) and each worldview has their construct or ideals
                  related to areas biological, historical, psychological, theological,
                  science, history...and so forth.

                  Bottom line is we throw ideas around about what "ought" to
                  be...without ever a consideration to inquire what ought ought to be?
                  What determines to make a right right and a wrong wrong?

                  It leads admittedly to a lot of argument, but often the heated side of
                  argument is not realizing we are all prone to positing a worldview.
                  We've adapted a worldview whether we know it or not. Recognizing the
                  tenets of a worldview and where one is coming from in a great sense
                  frees one up from falling into losing it...I guess, hahaaa...and one
                  can simply internalize and recognize "oh...okay, s/he's voicing the
                  position of...(insert, secular humanist...Cosmic
                  humanist...Marxist...etc.,)"

                  then you are free to hold disdain and disagreement perhaps with the
                  worldview, but need not exercise hostility toward an individual. You
                  see where it makes better sense to attack the opinion of the
                  opinion'ator and not the opnionator.

                  In this sense yes...what is "true to me" is so...because of a
                  worldview. What is "true for you" is because of a worldview.

                  Further, most worldviews are variable in their absolutes. Believing
                  there are no absolutes.

                  Funny when one states emphatically there are no absolute truths...for
                  if that is what they believe, they have just stated in construct what
                  they would want us to accept as an absolute...that, there are no
                  absolutes.

                  So...this does get much more complicated than many realize, and
                  certainly most adults and even educators are not prepared to argue a
                  point not even understanding worldview thinking and ethical systems in
                  general.

                  It is a frustration if you have an idea of what is important to teach
                  in art...what is fundamental, what are important principles when every
                  so many years new tenets of ideology and thought want to weigh in on
                  the public education system. Money's from major institutions vie for
                  influence at the university level on thought. Many think tank
                  groups...social engineering, you name it. Way over most our
                  heads...except for we in the classroom that experience new changes in
                  teaching practices mandated from "above" and legislated.

                  We have our hands full...just being motivators and encouragers in the
                  classroom...don't we? Trying to get on the same page when we will not
                  be able to agree on what makes an ought..."ought to be"...well, not
                  likely to happen really...

                  Think its interesting though. Pay attention to just how often you'll
                  hear colleagues and people all around you throw what "ought to be"
                  around. Might throw them a full curve if you interject and simply
                  ask..."so...okay, what do you think makes a right right, and a wrong
                  wrong?"

                  Okay....call me crazy, or assume I've got too much time on my hand.

                  hahahaaa...but, I love making art...and believe its worth a career to
                  try and instill that into young lives. Here's to all of you this day
                  driven to the same (raising my mug of coffee...!)

                  Larry
                • shellysart
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Thank goodness someone said this....I also cringed when I saw the
                    original post as this was my pet peeve while I was in college. A
                    professor would grade the student's works based on the
                    student's "motivation".
                    Which, in our case was alot of students who would throw some found
                    materials together and come up with some lame thing that they knew
                    the professor would eat up.......I, on the other hand have a tendency
                    to try and explore a more "traditional" knowledge of a particular
                    material and see what you can do with it, ie....ways to work with
                    different types of stone, wood, and other natural materials. I was
                    always mocked at critiques as I didn't have a "cool/pc motivation".

                    It is, always has been, and always will be a very hard thing for
                    teachers to grade work and critique it.

                    I, in my teaching, focus on what the assignment is, and whether the
                    student completed it and actually did it to the best of their ability.
                    If they rush through just to get done, and didn't use elements that
                    were assigned, they would get marked down for that.

                    As far as "critiques", that is a hard one. Again, I would have
                    students use that same criteria and maybe talk about their initial
                    reaction to the piece.

                    I remember my first job out of college, I was working at a major
                    metro Art museum and had some people from work over to my place for a
                    get together and showed them some of my work hung in my house. This
                    one woman (also a college prof) said "It's ok, but I wouldn't call it
                    Art". It was, by far, the most ignorant statement I ever heard
                    someone say about Art. Especially as a teacher. I am glad I didn't
                    have her as a professor.

                    Hopefully people will learn from that sort of statement.

                    I agree that "to you?" is a more appropriate question as it is SO
                    subjective.

                    Shelly in Seattle