Class project

  • Blue
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 27, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I am looking for someone interested in a failry simple and
      straightfoward art exchange project. The idea is for the teachers to
      identify a number of works of art and give each student in the class
      a picture of the work of art. The students have to write a detailed
      description of the work of art. The descriptions are then exchanged
      and the students have to reproduce the original work of art from the
      description they would have received. Finally, everyone gets to look
      at the original works the teachers would have identified and compare
      these with the descriptions they would have received and the works
      they would have produced.

      I have seen this project working in a school in the Netherlands and
      it is real fun! I have not identified an age group yet but I would
      consider Year 5, 6 or 7 (that's primary or elementary school, ages 9
      to 11) and I am in Malta, Europe.

      Let me know if anyone is interested.

      Thanks

      Charlot
    • MJ Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 27, 2008
        This sounds like an interesting project for my 7th graders/ 8th graders. I would be interested.

        Jennifer Smith
        El Dorado, AR

        "An idea is salvation by imagination."
        Frank Lloyd Wright

        > I am looking for someone interested in a failry simple and
        > straightfoward art exchange project. The idea is for the
        > teachers to
        > identify a number of works of art and give each student in
        > the class
        > a picture of the work of art. The students have to write a
        > detailed
        > description of the work of art. The descriptions are then
        > exchanged
        > and the students have to reproduce the original work of art
        > from the
        > description they would have received. Finally, everyone
        > gets to look
        > at the original works the teachers would have identified
        > and compare
        > these with the descriptions they would have received and
        > the works
        > they would have produced.
        >
        > I have seen this project working in a school in the
        > Netherlands and
        > it is real fun! I have not identified an age group yet but
        > I would
        > consider Year 5, 6 or 7 (that's primary or elementary
        > school, ages 9
        > to 11) and I am in Malta, Europe.
        >
        > Let me know if anyone is interested.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Charlot
      • Karolina Valentine
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 27, 2008
          that sounds really neat
          I might be interested
          Karolina

          This sounds like an interesting project for my 7th graders/ 8th graders. I would be interested.

          Jennifer Smith
          El Dorado, AR

          "An idea is salvation by imagination. "
          Frank Lloyd Wright

          > I am looking for someone interested in a failry simple and
          > straightfoward art exchange project. The idea is for the
          > teachers to
          > identify a number of works of art and give each student in
          > the class
          > a picture of the work of art. The students have to write a
          > detailed
          > description of the work of art. The descriptions are then
          > exchanged
          > and the students have to reproduce the original work of art
          > from the
          > description they would have received. Finally, everyone
          > gets to look
          > at the original works the teachers would have identified
          > and compare
          > these with the descriptions they would have received and
          > the works
          > they would have produced.
          >
          > I have seen this project working in a school in the
          > Netherlands and
          > it is real fun! I have not identified an age group yet but
          > I would
          > consider Year 5, 6 or 7 (that's primary or elementary
          > school, ages 9
          > to 11) and I am in Malta, Europe.
          >
          > Let me know if anyone is interested.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Charlot

        • linda
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 28, 2008
            Charlotte, I just replied to your email address to tell you that I
            would be interested. This does sound like fun. Since there is so
            much response (you can't use all of us), consider that this could be
            done within your own school between grade levels. It would also be a
            way to introduce children to each other in your own school who do not
            know each other yet. My school is always looking for ways to get
            children of various age levels together. You could even hang the
            "team" artwork side by side. It might be fun to desigh it so that two
            children were partnered by the teacher without knowing and each would
            get the other's descrption list and finish the artwork as per that
            list from their partner. Or those of us who are left over after you
            pick your school could get together somehow for a further exchange. I
            think this is a really fun idea.
            LInda at St. John's in Houston
          • Kerri Gordon
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
              I'm very interested...please let me know how to get started!!
              Kerri
              gordo74@...

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                I would also like to do this - I have one section of 7th grade and 5 sections of 8th - I could do it with either one so just let me know what fits best in your plan.
                Jennie Auble
                Westfield Middle School
                Westfield IN

                >>> "Blue" <charlotc@...> 9/27/2008 11:19 AM >>>
                Hi everyone,

                I am looking for someone interested in a failry simple and
                straightfoward art exchange project. The idea is for the teachers to
                identify a number of works of art and give each student in the class
                a picture of the work of art. The students have to write a detailed
                description of the work of art. The descriptions are then exchanged
                and the students have to reproduce the original work of art from the
                description they would have received. Finally, everyone gets to look
                at the original works the teachers would have identified and compare
                these with the descriptions they would have received and the works
                they would have produced.

                I have seen this project working in a school in the Netherlands and
                it is real fun! I have not identified an age group yet but I would
                consider Year 5, 6 or 7 (that's primary or elementary school, ages 9
                to 11) and I am in Malta, Europe.

                Let me know if anyone is interested.

                Thanks

                Charlot
              • maryjo rosania
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                  This sounds great.
                  Maybe because so many of us are intersted we can set up multiple exchanges?
                  I teach high school photography -- anyone else teach high school? It might be fun to go cross-disciplinary -- drawing and photo or painting and sculpture....
                  MaryJo

                  --
                  MaryJo Rosania

                • Kelli Wilke
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                    I was also thinking that this would be good to do with our Language Arts teacher.  She does a unit on descriptive writing.  What a great way to make connections!!!  Thanks for the idea!

                    Kelli in NE

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 30, 2008
                      I teach HS as well. This sounds really interesting. I think it
                      would really help my kids. I'm in.

                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "maryjo rosania"
                      <mojoroneno@...> wrote:

                      > This sounds great.
                      > Maybe because so many of us are intersted we can set up multiple
                      exchanges?
                      > I teach high school photography -- anyone else teach high school?
                      It might
                      > be fun to go cross-disciplinary -- drawing and photo or painting and
                      > sculpture....
                      > MaryJo
                      >
                      > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Kerri Gordon <
                      > Kerri_Gordon@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'm very interested...please let me know how to get started!!
                      > > Kerri
                      > > gordo74@...
                      > >
                      > > ------------------------------

                    • Amber
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 30, 2008

                        <mojoroneno@...> wrote:

                        > This sounds great.
                        > Maybe because so many of us are intersted we can set up multiple
                        exchanges?
                        > I teach high school photography -- anyone else teach high school?
                        It might
                        > be fun to go cross-disciplinary -- drawing and photo or painting and
                        > sculpture....
                        > MaryJo
                        >
                        > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Kerri Gordon <
                        > Kerri_Gordon@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I'm very interested...please let me know how to get started!!
                        > > Kerri
                        > > gordo74@...
                        > >
                        > > ------------------------------

                      • Blue
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2 12:08 PM
                          Thanks to everyone who is interested in the class project. I was
                          actually overwhelmed with requests! I am in a very small school so it
                          is going to be impossible for me to work with everyone. However, if
                          all the people interested can email me off the group with details re
                          age group and number of kids that they have, then I could organise
                          this so that everyone gets to exchange with someone.

                          Cheers

                          Charlot in Malta
                        • tatterbell22
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4 2:56 PM
                            I have just started a class for gifted and talented students
                            titled, "Art around the World." I think an exchange would be
                            wonderful, but my students are in grades 1-2 (working at 3-5 grade
                            level), so they are ages 6 and 7. We're "visiting" different
                            countries and learning about culture, traditions, and of course,
                            art. If anyone is still interested, please let me know. The course
                            is offered on Saturdays from 9-noon and goes on until November 15th
                            (so you have an idea on how much time I actually have with the
                            students).

                            Thanks in advance!

                            Tatiana

                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Blue" <charlotc@...> wrote:

                            > Hi everyone,
                            >
                            > I am looking for someone interested in a failry simple and
                            > straightfoward art exchange project. The idea is for the teachers
                            > identify a number of works of art and give each student in the
                            class
                            > a picture of the work of art. The students have to write a
                            detailed
                            > description of the work of art. The descriptions are then
                            exchanged
                            > and the students have to reproduce the original work of art from
                            the
                            > description they would have received. Finally, everyone gets to
                            look
                            > at the original works the teachers would have identified and
                            compare
                            > these with the descriptions they would have received and the works
                            > they would have produced.
                            >
                            > I have seen this project working in a school in the Netherlands
                            and
                            > it is real fun! I have not identified an age group yet but I would
                            > consider Year 5, 6 or 7 (that's primary or elementary school, ages
                            9
                            > to 11) and I am in Malta, Europe.
                            >
                            > Let me know if anyone is interested.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Charlot

                          • MJ Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5 12:30 PM
                              Remember me.... I was the first person who replied to your project. I have already engaged my class and have selected a painting to exchange.

                              We are anxiously awaiting your reply.

                              Jennifer

                              "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                              Frank Lloyd Wright

                              > Thanks to everyone who is interested in the class project. I
                              > was
                              > actually overwhelmed with requests! I am in a very small
                              > school so it
                              > is going to be impossible for me to work with everyone.
                              > However, if
                              > all the people interested can email me off the group with
                              > details re
                              > age group and number of kids that they have, then I could
                              > organise
                              > this so that everyone gets to exchange with someone.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              >
                              > Charlot in Malta
                            • Paige Conn
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 6 5:14 AM
                                This is so exciting! I have just been reinstated to the group after my tech police spammed all contact since last year. It will take me awhile to get back in the groove but just wanted to say "hey".

                                Regarding Charlot's project, I would be very interested to learn more and possibly be a part. I am not sure if Fredericksburg, Texas would be considered "around the world".

                                Paige

                                ________________________________

                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , "Blue" <charlotc@...> wrote:

                                > Hi everyone,
                                >
                                > I am looking for someone interested in a failry simple and
                                > straightfoward art exchange project. The idea is for the teachers
                                > identify a number of works of art and give each student in the
                                class
                                > a picture of the work of art. The students have to write a
                                detailed
                                > description of the work of art. The descriptions are then
                                exchanged
                                > and the students have to reproduce the original work of art from
                                the
                                > description they would have received. Finally, everyone gets to
                                look
                                > at the original works the teachers would have identified and
                                compare
                                > these with the descriptions they would have received and the works
                                > they would have produced.
                                >
                                > I have seen this project working in a school in the Netherlands
                                and
                                > it is real fun! I have not identified an age group yet but I would
                                > consider Year 5, 6 or 7 (that's primary or elementary school, ages
                                9
                                > to 11) and I am in Malta, Europe.
                                >
                                > Let me know if anyone is interested.
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Charlot

                              • Ken
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 6 2:03 PM
                                  Paige,

                                  I'm glad our work finally paid off. Once the list group posts bounce a
                                  few times, it no longer sends any posts and I have to reauthorize your
                                  posts. Of course the first time I reauthorized your posts, they
                                  bounced too until your techies finally got to work on the issue. At
                                  any rate, welcome back.

                                  Ken

                                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Paige Conn" <paigec@...> wrote:

                                  > This is so exciting! I have just been reinstated to the group after
                                  my tech police spammed all contact since last year. It will take me
                                  awhile to get back in the groove but just wanted to say "hey".

                                  > Regarding Charlot's project, I would be very interested to learn
                                  more and possibly be a part. I am not sure if Fredericksburg, Texas
                                  would be considered "around the world".

                                  > Paige
                                • maureen m
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 7 4:15 PM
                                    Welcome back Paige. Are you going to the TAEA conference in San Antonio this year?
                                    Maureen
                                    Austin