reading and art

  • Marianna
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2008
      Hi all
      Been busy planning for new subject to teach along with art. But I
      see it as a challenge and a way to show all those non art teachers how
      important art is and how it really teaches all the other subjects
      without even trying. I'm big on integration-- I just get tired to
      trying to prove it to others. How can you teach art and not teach math,
      history, science, communication skills, technology, etc...?
      Well, this year I'm teaching art K-8 as usual. Last week my
      principal came to me and asked if I would be willing to teach a 4th
      grade reading class because of the extremely large 4th grade, but no
      room to add another section of 4th grade. I was thrilled. I have always
      beleived in keeping myself broad ( not only an art cert.- I am K-9 elem
      ed too.) I've did my Masters in Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
      and I've done post grad classes in reading and writing.
      It's kind of refreshing to be teaching another subject --but art is
      my passion.
      Getting back to integration-- as I teach my new subject -- I refer
      back to our art classes ( I have the same students in art) to show the
      connections and how it's all so closely related.