Re: special needs students

  • ebart_teacher
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2008
      I have worked with a 6th grader with severe down's syndrome.(no verbal
      skills) I started off having him tear scrap paper and glue it with a
      glue stick onto large paper. For a while I had him tear it and then I
      would put the glue on and then he would stick it where he wanted on the
      paper. He made color choices and showed spatial awareness with this
      project. The tearing was also theraputic for him.

      It depends on the degree of special need students that you are working
      with. If they are able to understand instructions they can do just
      about anything, with in reason. It just won't turn out like some of
      the other kid's and that is perfectly ok! Finger painting is fun for
      some kids (although I have found that some of my autistic and blind do
      NOT like it!) Just get to know your students and you should be fine!