Re: [art_education] Artsonia letter to parents?

  • Ellen Eaton
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
      In my school (K-4) 675 students, I send home the parent letter from Artsonia.They sign it and then I either e-mail or send back them the security key and screen name they will need to register. If the parents do not register, they do not know when a new piece of art is uploaded and you end up wasting your time. I require parents to register before I upload their child's artwork. By registering, they are taking an active role in their child's art education and you know they want to see the artwork. Ellen

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
        Artsonia....

        I used the letter that is in the Helpful documents section of Artsonia as a start for my letter home and permission slip. Once the students are signed up it lasts for their entire time in my school. So after the initial sign up you will only need to add the new students each year.

        As for helpers... do indeed get parent volunteers. I have about 600 students and it does take time but it worth it many times over in the excitement from the kids and families. For the initial sign up I gathered all the papers and start entering the information a little over time. It took about 2 weeks to get all the information logged in to the data base.

        As for uploading... Artsonia has a brand new up loader available this year that is AMAZING! Just scan or take photos of the art work and save in a folder on your computer. The up loader will upload a file folder completely up to 1000 photos! Then you just click the photo and have pull down menus to name the student and grade of each piece. If you get in a habit of doing the uploading either a little each day or pick a time each week to up load images I find it more manageable then trying to say do 1000 at once. I usually try to do an hour worth ever couple days. Parent volunteers have been helpful too! If you get a parent who is very computer literate they can meet you ever two weeks and help upload the new images. I keep a folder for each class with images that need to be scanned or photographed on my cabinet. If a parent is available they have a little spot in the room set up where they can scan away!

        I have been uploading art on Artsonia for about 8 years. I don't put up EVERY assignment sometimes due to the volume of work that my students create some months. I try to pick some of the successful assignments for each grade level and put up at least 4 pieces per student each year.

        Hope that helps.

        Holly Bess Kincaid
        Art Lady
        Robinson Elementary
        hkincaid@...

        "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. "
        Pablo Picasso
      • Marianna
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
          I do Artsonia too.
          I send my own letters. I ask for the parents to list all the
          children they have and the classes. That one letter will be good for
          the whole time they are at the school under me as as art teacher. This
          is explained in the letter. Then I send their passwords to them in
          another letter. I try to make the letter very simply understood for al
          levels of parents.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, marcia <marciadotcom@...> wrote:

          > Legally, I think the school's photo release form would be fine.
          Artsonia has parent letters that you can download from their site.
          It's great!