Re:Art club

  • Kieren Dutcher
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
      I tried to do art club at lunch, not enough time, so I now do an after school class, that I charge kids  for. I do 3 sessions a year, about 11 weeks long, 1 1/2 hr classes. This session I am doing canvas painting. I set up still lifes for the kids, starting with very simple shapes, slices of fruit, etc...(one day I bring in desserts to paint, then the kids get to eat them!), and sometimes we go outside and try a landscape, or do self-portraits.Once in a while we'll paint a mural.  In the winter I will sometimes teach knitting or stitchery, ceramics, whatever the kids request that isn't too difficult to set up after teaching all day!
      Kieren

    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Wanda and All,

        I do an art club after school. Kids ride the "late" bus home with the
        high school sports, making it 45 minutes. We do lessons I couldn't do
        with 100 kids in a grade or center choice. The club has been really
        popular, so I have to figure out a way for all interested students to
        join in, last year I shortened it to a mini art club" for a few weeks
        for each group. I have been experimenting with the art club as TAB
        and teacher directed lessons. This year I am going to have themes-
        painting, paper mache sculptures, wearable art and open studio. I
        limit the number of kids for my own sanity to 20. Limiting the
        sessions has worked too, although they hate waiting for their sessions.

        If I had only 20 minutes for the club I would do sketching, weaving,
        or knotting. Something you can start and finish independently. Let
        us know how you work it. ALi
      • Kelli Wilke
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          Jennifer,
          I came across your email when I was "cleaning out" my inbox.  Did I ever send you the info you wanted on the ribbon roses?

          Kelli

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
            No I looked it up on U Tube and found a video.... Thanks anyways.