Shibori Haori - a gift of art (see this image)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      Was "Santa" good to you? Pam Stephens received this
      beautiful Shibori Haori (a Japanese coat to wear over
      a kimono)as a gift from her husband (it was actually a
      birthday gift).
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/haori.htm
      (Pam if you see this - I pasted the wrong URL for
      defintion of Shibori - the correct URL is
      http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.pattern/ShiboriDefinition.html)

      Pam is looking for anyone with information on how the
      Shibori designs are planned (an intricate Japanese tie
      dye technique). Is this anyone's area of "Expertise"?
      Post resources and links you have to the list and I'll
      forward to Pam. I have found all the links I intend to
      for now.

      I can see Pam using this as a lesson with her art ed
      students. From my experience the more things/art I had
      from the cultures - the better my lessons were. My
      students loved seeing how much I valued art from the
      cultures we were studying. Pam - see what kind of
      lessons your students can "brainstorm" when you wear
      it one day.

      What gifts of art did you receive this year? Do you
      have any exciting works of art to share with the
      lists? It would be so easy to do in Yahoo (or send to
      me and I will share).

      I will only leave Pam's picture on the site a few days
      - so enjoy. I can't help but think how her haori might
      inspire some bleached designs. Maybe give it a try and
      see what happens. I just might play with that idea
      myself and see what I come up with.

      Cheers!

      Judith

      =====