First Day Activity..."Ed Emberley's Thumbprint Art"

  • proff246810
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2008
      Here is another activity...I have actually done this one! LOL My LA
      students wrote their own children's book and illustrated it using
      thumbprint art.

      Hand out scrap paper for students to practice making thumbprints. A
      washable stamp pad would work well for making the print. In the
      classroom I used acrylic paint to give them a different media
      experience, however, the thumbprints can look less like a thumbprint
      if the students overload on paint and then of course you have the
      drying time. Students then use markers or Sharpie's to draw the
      simple lines to make characters, critters, and more. This is simple,
      fun, and they can walk out with the piece that day.

      My students enjoyed looking through the book and trying to make the
      different characters for fun. My book is well loved! While in the
      book store I found another book by Emberley and it about making
      monsters. I have that saved for Halloween.

      Good luck again Mister G!

      Cheers,
      Sharon