RE: [art_education] Supplies?

  • cen_aca_dp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2008
      Do any of you have to buy every art supply the students use? Any suggestions
      as to how I should figure how many packs to buy

      I purchase everything for my 500+ elementary students with a budget of $5 per
      student from their book fees. I used to have each of them bring a pencil, but
      after having a boy stab a girl in the arm while in line... never again.

      I order everything in sets of 6 because I have my art room set up that way,
      with 6 tables (4 students at each). I have found that I can generally get away
      with only ordering 6 of each supply for the year, unless it is something I
      know we will be using frequently. (Ex: 6 boxes of each type of markers, 6 sets
      of Prismacolor pencils, 6 sets of oil pastels, etc.)

      When I began teaching 12 years ago, I went to the Dollar Store and bought
      those plastic shoe boxes- 6 blue boxes for the marker sets, 6 yellow for the
      crayons, 6 red for the colored pencils, etc. So, each table has their own box
      of each type of supply. I then weed out the old junk each year and add the
      new. Hope that makes sense! If we were in school right now, I'd post a
      picture.

      It has worked out well over the years.

      Denise Pannell

      Apache Kids'Art now online!

      http://natepannell.memory-of.com/
      "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Gandhi"