Re:Problems with class demonstrations

  • Susan Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2008
      One thing I have done in the past is to actually give them a quiz right after the demonstration. My students also keep notebooks or sketchbooks, sometimes I have them draw a flow chart or draw a digram that demonstrates their understanding of the technique being explored. They can't use materials until the chosen assessment is completed successfully. I check both that day to give them immediate feed back. Sending home grade checks with missing work listed also helps them with accountability issues. Phone calls home also help. Many teachers (myself include) avoid this useful technique.
    • loveylemmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2008
        Tricia,

        I like that idea. I also know a teacher who created videos of her
        foods demos.

        Another idea I had was using a drawing tablet and Painter software
        with a prjector. I have that through our school. I've thought of doing
        this, but my tablet is pricey. That's my only real concern.

        Thanks for the idea about the document camera. we actually have
        projectors and whiteboards now. - I absolutely cannot believe we got a
        province wide grant for these.... I'll see if I can get my little
        digital to do that... ;)

        Kylie