Re: [art_education] Your Own Art

  • draw.art
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 5, 2008
      HI-
      I have seen some amazing art here  from links that teachers have posted to their work.  I agree that it is a great thing to be able to share your work with your students. I share mine when I am at am impasse with a piece.  They learn about the process from this. Hmmm...Could it go this way, or could it go that way? Talking about the different ways the piece could ultimatlely be worked is helpful to not only the artist but the art student as well. And I have found that type of talk enables the student to question their process as well.
      Barbara

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 5, 2008
        Hi-
        I actively show my photography and do freelance work, and I do feel like it helps me as a teacher...as well as continue to do figure drawing, have a painting studio, and take classes as much as I have time to (and money to!) I absolutely feel that it helps me as a teacher, because the kids can see how much I love it and actively do it- and the enthusiasm sells it.

        My website is http://www.pbase.com/kc_artworks/portfolio

        I personally love where I post my photos, because it's a network of other photographers who regularly give feedback to one another- I've met people from all over the world from pbase.

        Cheers
        Kelly

        > I am curious as to what types of artwork you dabble in
        > either personally
        > or professionally. My cooperating teacher from my student
        > teaching
        > experience always stressed the importance of creating art
        > to keep my
        > enthusiasm fresh and keep my creative side active. I am an
        > oil painter
        > but also love ceramics. How many of you create and sell
        > your own art? Do
        > you create artwork in your classroom or at home? One high
        > school art
        > teacher whom I observed worked on his paintings right along
        > side his
        > students. I think he was a good role model for doing so.
        > Does anyone have a website they would like to share which
        > shows their art?
        > Jen M. in NY

      • Robinson, Michael
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 6, 2008
          I've had a website for a long time and but haven't been updating it. I plan to do that this summer. I also would like to get a blog going for myself and one for school artwork. What I have is www.shortyspix.com Barb your phone starts with 610 - I'm in 609 in S. Jersey. I teach in Cherry Hill, live in Collings Lakes, Atlantic County.
          Michael Robinson
          Art Teacher
          Woodcrest Elementary
          Paine Elementary
          856 429 2058 x8231

          I actively show my photography and do freelance work, and I do feel like it helps me as a teacher...as well as continue to do figure drawing, have a painting studio, and take classes as much as I have time to (and money to!) I absolutely feel that it helps me as a teacher, because the kids can see how much I love it and actively do it- and the enthusiasm sells it.

          My website is http://www.pbase.com/kc_artworks/portfolio

          I personally love where I post my photos, because it's a network of other photographers who regularly give feedback to one another- I've met people from all over the world from pbase.

          Cheers
          Kelly

          > I am curious as to what types of artwork you dabble in
          > either personally
          > or professionally. My cooperating teacher from my student
          > teaching
          > experience always stressed the importance of creating art
          > to keep my
          > enthusiasm fresh and keep my creative side active. I am an
          > oil painter
          > but also love ceramics. How many of you create and sell
          > your own art? Do
          > you create artwork in your classroom or at home? One high
          > school art
          > teacher whom I observed worked on his paintings right along
          > side his
          > students. I think he was a good role model for doing so.
          > Does anyone have a website they would like to share which
          > shows their art?
          > Jen M. in NY

        • Kieren Dutcher
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 6, 2008
            I am a freelance illustrator/graphic designer as well as a part time
            art teacher. I love combining quiet studio time with teaching in a
            classroom. Don't think I could do either one full time. I bring in my
            work to show my students, usually at the beginning of the year, and it
            seems to give me more credibility with the kids.

            My website:

            www.kierendutcher.com
            www.childrensillustrators.com

            Kieren
          • Barbara
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 6, 2008
              >Kieren,
              Love your children's illustrations. It looks as if you are quite busy.
              It takes a while as you know, for each graphic to load, so people have
              to be fairly patient to view your website. It was worth it.
              Barbara

              > My website:
              >
              > www.kierendutcher.com
              > www.childrensillustrators.com
              >
              > Kieren

            • proff246810
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 7, 2008
                Julie,

                I was able to download them to my Real Player. I didn't try it, but
                after that there is a burn function on the Real Player that should
                allow you to copy it to a disk.

                Good luck!
                Sharon

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "The Conley's " <conley@...> wrote:

                > Hey everybody!
                >

                > These paint explosion videos are so exciting! I would like to copy
                all of
                > them to a CD-- the original, how they made it, the spoof-so I could show
                > them in class. But I can't figure out how to copy them from youtube
                to a
                > disk. Could anyone give me some directions?
                >

                > Thanks,
                >

                > Julie in WV

              • christyvk
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Hello Everyone!!!

                  I am starting my ninth year teaching art at a high school in the Los Angeles area. I thought it would be really cool to decorate my room using various art related quotes/slogans but I need help! Does anyone have any quotes about art or from artists that they could share?

                  Thanks in advance!!

                  Christy
                • Mary Hering
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 2009
                    Hi Christy,

                     The Incredible Art Education Resources has many!   http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/quotes.htm

                    Mary

                    I am starting my ninth year teaching art at a high school in the Los Angeles area. I thought it would be really cool to decorate my room using various art related quotes/slogans but I need help! Does anyone have any quotes about art or from artists that they could share?

                    Thanks in advance!!

                    Christy

                  • ednakate
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2009
                      Hi Christy-
                      I ask the students to tell me about themselves as artists. Here is my favorite quote from last year: "I am my own artist. I see the world beautifully because when I paint, I am able to feel all the colors I put on my paper" Danny grade 4
                      Sounds like a fun project would love to see pictures.
                      Alyssa

                      -- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "christyvk" <christyvk@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Everyone!!!
                      >
                      > I am starting my ninth year teaching art at a high school in the Los Angeles area. I thought it would be really cool to decorate my room using various art related quotes/slogans but I need help! Does anyone have any quotes about art or from artists that they could share?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance!!
                      >
                      > Christy

                    • bergiemoore
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 3, 2009
                        http://www.artquotes.net/

                        You gotta love google. I searched artist quote, adn his site wiht lots of great quote came up.
                        One I really like because it helped see being a famous artist as "more human" was be Warhol. He said "People tell me all the time that being an artist is great job. Why? I go to work, and I am there for 8-10 hours everday. Then I come home. How it is any different from any other job?" He also said this more concisely as " Why do people think artists are special? It's just another job.", but I don't like that one as much.
                        Regards,
                        Brandy

                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "christyvk" <christyvk@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Everyone!!!
                        >
                        > I am starting my ninth year teaching art at a high school in the Los Angeles area. I thought it would be really cool to decorate my room using various art related quotes/slogans but I need help! Does anyone have any quotes about art or from artists that they could share?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance!!
                        >
                        > Christy

                      • lindakg2
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "christyvk" <christyvk@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Everyone!!!
                          >
                          > I am starting my ninth year teaching art at a high school in the Los Angeles area. I thought it would be really cool to decorate my room using various art related quotes/slogans but I need help! Does anyone have any quotes about art or from artists that they could share?
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance!!
                          >
                          > Christy

                          Hi Christy,,Here's one from Georgia O'Keefe.........
                          ..Nobody sees a flower really- it is so small-we haven't time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time..........

                        • christyvk
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                            Thanks so much for all of the wonderful quotes!! I will definitely be using them!

                            Christy
                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "lindakg2" <lindakg@...> wrote:

                            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "christyvk" <christyvk@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello Everyone!!!
                            > >
                            > > I am starting my ninth year teaching art at a high school in the Los Angeles area. I thought it would be really cool to decorate my room using various art related quotes/slogans but I need help! Does anyone have any quotes about art or from artists that they could share?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks in advance!!
                            > >
                            > > Christy
                            >
                            > Hi Christy,,Here's one from Georgia O'Keefe.........
                            > ..Nobody sees a flower really- it is so small-we haven't time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time..........

                          • asmax35
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                              Ooooh!
                              Great idea!

                              Is there a way/ or a spot on this webpage that we could have folks post the art/artist quotes?? I would love to see them, maybe others would too?

                              If not, could I ask a few of you to send me your best quotes??

                              Thanks
                              And I hope everyone's school years are off to a great start!
                              Andrea Sisel
                              Minneapolis, MN

                            • iarcement@bellsouth.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                I would love to see some more quotes, myself!  I'll try to add some as well.

                                Thanks so much,
                                Idus

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                  Whoops,
                                  Sorry all, I missed the great links to Art/artist quotes that you all had posted (and exist here) on this fantastic website. Ya!
                                  Thanks!!
                                  Andrea Sisel
                                  Mpls., MN

                                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hering <maryh923@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Christy,
                                  >

                                  > The Incredible Art Education Resources has many! http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/quotes.htm
                                  >
                                  > Mary

                                • Kelli Wilke
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 9, 2009
                                    I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I have my 7th graders write their own quote about art.  They design them and then I hang them all over my room.  Some quotes are the basic, "art is like a rainbow....full of color"  (I get that one A LOT!)  But some quotes are really amazing that the kids come up with..  Very insightful!  Great way to incorporate Language Arts too, because you can talk about metaphors, idioms, and adjectives.

                                    Kelli in NE