Interviewing Tips?/ Sagely Wisdom?

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 4:57 PM
      I'm about to interview for an elementary art teaching job and feel confident about myself...
      however I'm always looking to improve... does anyone have interviewing tips? Once I secure
      my job I would be interested in any sagely wisdom. Thank you so much!!!!
    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 7:00 PM
        Is this your first job?

        Go online and see if the school has a website. If they do see if they have any Elementary Art displayed on the site or information about the school program. This will give you and idea of what you are walking into.

        The key to the interview is not just how you answer the questions but the kind of questions you might ask (How is the Elementary Art program viewed in the community? If you could add something new to your Elementary Art program what would it be? Don't be afraid to ask about budgets, class schedules, number of students, extra duties?

        Listen to the question you are asked, pause formulate your answer and do not go on an on with your answer.

        Eye contact.

        Thank them for the opportunity to interview with them. Ask about when the decision for the position will be made.

        Smile.

        If you have a portfolio of projects you have done, lesson plan, art philosophy, discipline outline.....photos, photos, photos.

        I have done a lot of interviewing for art positions for our district and the sinker for the interview are: lack of confidence, no questions for the interview team, no direct eye contact, poorly dressed, going on and on answering questions.

        Good luck on your interviewing

        Jeff (Minnesota)