Re: [art_education] A whole school project!

  • Wayong@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2002
      I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.
    • The Austin's
      Message 2 of 13 , May 24, 2002
        I have found that having kids draw directly on the wall doesn't work for 2
        reasons - 1) they aren't used to drawing vertically and 2) they aren't
        comfortable drawing on a large scale. Have them draw their mural on a
        transparancy and then trace it on the wall with an overhead. Also, as the
        professional why don't you take the drawings and combine them for the
        students. Then at least it would be balanced visually. So what if it is not
        cohesive to the un-involved viewer - it would be cohesive in the minds of
        the students! :-)
        ~Michal
        http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

        > I might be working on a mural with a small class of 4 graders next year.
        I want to have as much input from the kids as possible. Suggestions? I was
        thinking of having the kids draw pictures with selected themes, then do a
        larger picture together & then I would draw their picture on the wall & they
        would outline & color it in. Would it be realistic to have them draw
        directly on the wall? I would imagine it wouldn't be a cohesive, but I
        wouldn't want to limit them.

        > Wayong

        ---
      • Mcarsart@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 25, 2002
          I did a tile wall with nearly 1000 students! I purchased (with grant money)
          4" bisque tile, and each student and staff member had the opportunity to
          "leave their mark at Clark". We used underglazes, I fired them, and then I
          put on a clear glaze. It's really great, documents who was in the building
          (we did it in January of 2000) as we entered the new millennium. They still
          stand in front of the wall and check out the tiles.
        • Lynn Pass
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2002
            --Hi,
            This is Lynn (I wrote about a mural project I did with 200 kids earlier). We didn't use an overhead. The kids did their original drawings and I transferred them to the wall with tracing paper (and made sure the drawings stayed in the student's style). Then the kids came down in manageble groups to paint them, which worked out very well.
            Lynn

            On Fri, 24 May 2002 18:39:41
            Wayong wrote:
            >I'm not sure if I'll have access to an overhead projector, but thanks anyway. I'm pretty good at imitating kids' art styles. It's not till next year so I have plenty of time.

            Outgrown your current e-mail service?
            Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
            http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus