Tempera Paint: Thank you!

  • proff246810
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
      Thank you all for your great suggestions and advice! I guess it is
      the "smell" method to figure out if the paint is bad. Uck! I am the
      one at home that when my son says, "Mom, can you smell this milk and
      tell me if it's good?" That my stomach just churns, and I say, "Just
      chuck it!" Oh well! LOL

      Yes, I have found lots of interesting things in the room and some in
      great abundance. If anyone has any ideas on what to do with 30 boxes
      (12 in a box) of soap and pencil erasers (besides the obvious :) and
      maybe carving stamps), please let me know!

      Thanks again!
    • Terri Noell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
        the soap I would have my older students carve figures out of after sketching their design first...

        To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
        From: proff246810@...
        Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:54:39 +0000
        Subject: [art_education] Tempera Paint: Thank you!

        Thank you all for your great suggestions and advice! I guess it is
        the "smell" method to figure out if the paint is bad. Uck! I am the
        one at home that when my son says, "Mom, can you smell this milk and
        tell me if it's good?" That my stomach just churns, and I say, "Just
        chuck it!" Oh well! LOL

        Yes, I have found lots of interesting things in the room and some in
        great abundance. If anyone has any ideas on what to do with 30 boxes
        (12 in a box) of soap and pencil erasers (besides the obvious :) and
        maybe carving stamps), please let me know!

        Thanks again!

        Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.
      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
          Depending on the kind of soap it is you might be able to paint with
          it! My daughter and I had a soap kit (pure glycerin) and we quickly
          learned we could color the melted soap, soap dyes are the only
          coloring I've tried so far, and then paint in the soap molds so we had
          little works of functional art. It was blast and something I might
          try with my students this year. It would fit nicely into my, "what
          does painting mean?" series- we use all kinds of things for coloring,
          and we use all kinds of materials to put it on surfaces. Trying to
          expand that mold of tempera and paintbrush.
          Regards,
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "proff246810" <proff246810@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank you all for your great suggestions and advice! I guess it is
          > the "smell" method to figure out if the paint is bad. Uck! I am the
          > one at home that when my son says, "Mom, can you smell this milk and
          > tell me if it's good?" That my stomach just churns, and I say, "Just
          > chuck it!" Oh well! LOL
          >
          > Yes, I have found lots of interesting things in the room and some in
          > great abundance. If anyone has any ideas on what to do with 30 boxes
          > (12 in a box) of soap and pencil erasers (besides the obvious :) and
          > maybe carving stamps), please let me know!
          >
          > Thanks again!

        • Hillmer, Jan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008

            There’s a great children’s chapter book which includes soap carving and radish carving! Becoming Naomi Leon, by Pam Munoz Ryan.    http://www.pammunozryan.com/naomi.html  .   Our Spanish teacher read it to our students, and there was a great interest in soap carving.

            Isn’t there some way to use soap as a resist?

            Jan in Tampa 2-5

            the soap I would have my older students carve figures out of after sketching their design first...

            To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
              This is a link to a carving method called scrimshaw
              http://www.scrimshaw.net/info.htm

              You can have students do designs on the soap and you can brush black tempera paint or india ink into the groves to create a "fake" Scrimshaw
              affect.

              I have done with with older and younger students.

              Jeff (Minnesota)
            • kathie omalley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
                Hi,
                Instead of, or maybe in addition to cutting the erasers into stamps, use them as is. Stamp using the different edges of the eraser. When I read your post it got me thinking of a printing/stamping lesson I saw (probably on the Incr. Art Dept site!) where students use the edge of cardboard strips to design a cityscape. They dip the edge of cardboard in black paint and stamp out skyscrapers and large sheets of paper (24z36).
                Kathie.

                > Thank you all for your great suggestions and advice! I
                > guess it is
                > the "smell" method to figure out if the paint is
                > bad. Uck! I am the
                > one at home that when my son says, "Mom, can you smell
                > this milk and
                > tell me if it's good?" That my stomach just
                > churns, and I say, "Just
                > chuck it!" Oh well! LOL
                >
                > Yes, I have found lots of interesting things in the room
                > and some in
                > great abundance. If anyone has any ideas on what to do
                > with 30 boxes
                > (12 in a box) of soap and pencil erasers (besides the
                > obvious :) and
                > maybe carving stamps), please let me know!
                >
                > Thanks again!
              • Katherine
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, kathie omalley <kathieblanche@...> wrote:

                  <<. When I read your post it got me thinking of a printing/stamping lesson I saw (probably
                  on the Incr. Art Dept site!) where students use the edge of cardboard strips to design a
                  cityscape. >>

                  You can see this method in detail on Cathy Topal's site:

                  http://www.smith.edu/twal/

                  It is called "thinking with a line"

                  kathy douglas
                  k-3 massachusetts, retired