Re: Class Schedule Question

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
      Hi Becky,

      This past year, I taught 6-12 grade. In the high school, classes were
      80 minutes long, every other day for a semester. In the middle
      school, I taught all the students over a 6 day cycle (45 minutes, once
      every 6 days) for the entire school year.

      This coming year, we have changed the middle school around. I see my
      6th graders every other day for a semester and my 7/8th graders every
      third day for a trimester.

      I'm not sure there is a "norm" I've taught once a week, every other
      day, and every day for middle school.

      Jessica

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Becky Aranyi" <miaya_mom@...>
      wrote:

      > How many of us have classes where we get to see the kids everyday
      for a specified period (6-weeks, 9-weeks), as opposed to once a week?
      Which is the "norm?"
    • goghgirl05
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 25, 2008
        I teach PK - 5 and have had a "normal" schedule since I began art
        teaching - seeing each class in the school once a week.

        In the fall my schedule is changing. I will see each class for one
        hour a day for a full week (five days) once every 6 to 7 weeks. I will
        rotate through each grade level.

        I am excited in that this will give considerably more continuity in
        the class... I am also a bit anxious about using this gold-mine of
        time to the best extent. I currently use modified choice in the lower
        grades and full choice in 3 - 5.

        Any thoughts or comments from the group would be appreciated.
        Susan in Houston

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Becky Aranyi" <miaya_mom@>
        > wrote:

        How many of us have classes where we get to see the kids everyday
        for a specified period (6-weeks, 9-weeks), as opposed to once a week?
        Which is the "norm?"
      • Molliy
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 26, 2008
          I don't buy liquid tempera-- I buy the tempera cakes! Way less messy
          and last longer. I do buy bottles of acrylic paint though. Is there a
          way that anyone knows where the kids doing waste so much of it. I
          have plastic palattes that they can mix in-- but there is alway
          someone who feels that have to pour each color in to the dimples.

          But as for the liquid tempera-retiring teachers keep giving me their
          and yes smell is the way to go and texture. But you'll have to open
          each one. Sorry-

          -- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "goghgirl05" <semartin11@...>
          wrote:

          > I teach PK - 5 and have had a "normal" schedule since I began art
          > teaching - seeing each class in the school once a week.
          >
          > In the fall my schedule is changing. I will see each class for one
          > hour a day for a full week (five days) once every 6 to 7 weeks. I
          will
          > rotate through each grade level.
          >
          > I am excited in that this will give considerably more continuity in
          > the class... I am also a bit anxious about using this gold-mine of
          > time to the best extent. I currently use modified choice in the
          lower
          > grades and full choice in 3 - 5.
          >
          > Any thoughts or comments from the group would be appreciated.
          > Susan in Houston
          >
          > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Becky Aranyi" <miaya_mom@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > How many of us have classes where we get to see the kids everyday
          > for a specified period (6-weeks, 9-weeks), as opposed to once a
          week?
          > Which is the "norm?"

        • Jeff Pridie
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 26, 2008
            I put a small amount of acrylic paint in plastic cups with lids. I am the only one to pour it and refill the cups. This has cut down on waste a lot. Students mix colors on plastic ice cream lids. Students are to wipe the lids off with paper towels as acrylic cannot go down the drain.

            Jeff (Minnesota)

          • meidelkneidel
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 27, 2008
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...>
              wrote:

              > I put a small amount of acrylic paint in plastic cups with lids. I
              am the only one to pour it and refill the cups. This has cut down
              on waste a lot. Students mix colors on plastic ice cream lids.
              Students are to wipe the lids off with paper towels as acrylic
              cannot go down the drain.

              > Jeff (Minnesota)

              I like Jeff's idea. I found my middle-schoolers were wasting a lot
              of bottled acrylic paint, and I tried something new this past year.
              I saved many, many small soda bottle caps. (Such as the size on a 2-
              liter soda bottle.) Students were not allowed to dispense more than
              this amount of paint, and were asked to sit in such a way so that
              they could share with 1 or 2 other students. They quickly saw that
              this small amount of paint was almost always enough to complete the
              painting project for art period and gradually dispensed less. It
              conserved paint considerably.
              Dodi
            • Renee McCary
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 29, 2008
                hi all
                I see my classes two or three times a week all year. i would love to see the upper grades daily. I used one day a week for critique and two days for studio for my 8th graders. They enden the year with a research paper about an artist. My plan this year is to have them do a weekly research
                question about an artist, period of art, architecture what was going on in the world. It will be given on assigned on Monday and due the following Monday.

                Renee McCary
              • Marianne
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Renee,
                  I would be interested in examples of the kind of questions you plan
                  to use. Would you share?
                  Thanks,
                  Marianne in Ohio

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Renee McCary <Sheba1249@...>
                  wrote:

                  > hi all
                  > I see my classes two or three times a week all year. i would love
                  to see the upper grades daily. I used one day a week for critique
                  and two days for studio for my 8th graders. They enden the year with
                  a research paper about an artist. My plan this year is to have them
                  do a weekly research
                  > question about an artist, period of art, architecture what was
                  going on in the world. It will be given on assigned on Monday and due
                  the following Monday.

                  > Renee McCary

                • familyerickson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
                    I received a catalog from Oriental Trading Company and see that they are now selling brand name art supplies.
                    Has anyone ordered from them yet?   I have not yet had the time to sit down and compare their prices--has anyone else done that yet?    If you didn't get a catalog you can go to their website and they will mail you one.
                    Cindy

                  • James and Monica Gabehart
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
                      I did order from them, watch and compare, some things are cheaper, some things are not.
                      Monica