Re:Korean art education methodology?

  • eduk8r2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
      Dear Kelly Clark,

      I will be in touch with you regarding your question soon.  I will leave for Korea tomorrow on a 2008 Summer Fellowship in Korean Studies. (3 weeks)  While there I will visit schools and talk with Korean educators.  One day I will be teaching an arts integrated lesson on Northwest Coastal Art to a group of 65 high school students.
      If you want to visit my blog to learn about the trip and what I find out as I travel you can go to: eduk8r2.blogspot.com.

      I hope I can help you...at this point I am a blank tablet!

      Diane Rowen Garmire
      Arts Educator
      Spokane Public Schools
      Spokane, WA

      Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
    • MaryAnn Kohl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
        I will be fascinated to know more about education in Korea.
        My new book was just printed there...it's on a boat for the US now...
        and the Korean person I worked with is very pro-art and creativity for children.
        I'm just very curious to know more.

        MaryAnn
        I'll check your blog.

        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
        PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
        360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        23rd Anniversary 1985 – 2008
                Celebrating 23 Years of Bringing Art to Children

        On Jun 15, 2008, at 12:22 PM, eduk8r2@... wrote:

        Dear Kelly Clark,

        I will be in touch with you regarding your question soon.  I will leave for Korea tomorrow on a 2008 Summer Fellowship in Korean Studies. (3 weeks)  While there I will visit schools and talk with Korean educators.  One day I will be teaching an arts integrated lesson on Northwest Coastal Art to a group of 65 high school students.
        If you want to visit my blog to learn about the trip and what I find out as I travel you can go to: eduk8r2.blogspot. com.

        I hope I can help you...at this point I am a blank tablet!

        Diane Rowen Garmire
        Arts Educator
        Spokane Public Schools
        Spokane, WA

        Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.

      • Jessica
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2008
          Hello Kelly,

          My apologies for not responding earlier. I meant to respond
          immediately, but my computer was having internet issues, and then I
          was on vacation!

          I'm currently in Seoul, South Korea teaching art to middle and high
          schoolers. The school I teach at is an international school and does
          not accept Korean passport holders, so my experience isn't with 100%
          Korean students. (I have korean-americans, thai, japanese, canadian,
          australian, british, americans, etc) However, I think I can help some
          with your questions!

          I've noticed that Asian students, in general, are very artistically
          talented- in art, music, etc. They are also very, very hard workers.
          The Korean-American students typically go to something called hog-won
          (my pronunciation, not the spelling) after the school day. This is
          basically after-school school. This schooling typically goes from 4 to
          8 or 9pm and can be anything- music lessons, art, math, foreign
          language. They are very driven to be successful in many different
          areas.

          One thing to note is that this drive can be coming from the parents-
          not the students desire to succeed. You might find that the Korean
          students will not argue with you, as you are the authority figure.
          Korean children are taught not to argue with you- but the parents
          might step in and have no issues "discussing" with you! (this might
          come as a surprise, because the child didn't come to talk to you first)

          Teachers are very highly valued and appreciated here in Korea (I
          received gifts this past year from my students at christmas time,
          teacher's day, and at the end of the school year). Many Koreans
          understand the need to be successful in school, as that determines
          where they go after high school. My school had a 100% graduation rate
          this past year, with students going to Harvard, John Hopkins,
          Princeton, RISD, Parsons... Yes, yes, a little crazy in my mind- but
          they have high goals for their (or their child's) future careers.

          To my knowledge, they don't have any special methodology in the public
          schools. The hogwon teaching emphasizes copying and following very
          specific steps to achieve a specific result. I've heard horror
          stories (horror to me) of the hogwon teachers ripping a child's
          artwork up because it wasn't exactly as directed. However, many of
          the high school students I have are very good at copying, but struggle
          with the more abstract side of art. They like the detailed
          step-by-step projects.

          I'd also love to take a summer class to learn more about their style
          of teaching, but it's really hard to find a class that teaches in
          English! All the good ones are in Korean.

          Let me know if you have any other questions!

          jessica in south korea.