Going from Block to 7 Period Help

  • Joe Cox
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hello All,
      I teach high school and next year my school is going from an eight block schedule where we have four classes a day that are 80 minutes long and we meet ever other day, A day and B day.  To a 7 period day were classes are 45 minutes and we see the students everyday.  I have never taught in this kind of schedule so this will be totally different for me.

      I teach Ceramic and Fundamentals of Art class so if you have made this transition or teach with this type of schedule please pass on any suggestions you have on how you run your class.  Suggestions on lecturing, getting stuff out, putting stuff up and cleaning would be appreciated.  Also any positive or negative outcome to this kind of schedule you experienced.

      Hope everyone summer is starting off well.
      Blessings,
      Joe

    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
        Joe,

        I teach this exact schedule. We have seven period
        days with 55 min class sessions. My classes are a
        semester long, 18 weeks every day.
        I teach three Art History classes a year, Studio Art
        two classes and one class of Art Technology.

        The hardest part, frankly is going from a 7 period day
        to a block style. Many teachers cannot fill the time
        of 80 mins moving from 45-55 min classes. You on the
        other hand will just divide what you planned in that
        80 min period and cut it in half, you are just
        stretching out your plans and turning it from one
        class event into two. I have worked with many who
        struggled greatly moving from that 7 period day
        schedule to the 80 min schedule.

        Keep your lecturing to no more then 10 mins tops. if
        the intent is for students to also work. Clean up
        time depending on what they are doing 5 to 10 mins.

        The disadvantage of this schedule is that students
        just get started and into the "creative zone" and its
        time to clean up, unlike the 80 min schedule where
        they can get a good amount of creative process going.

        Jeff (Minnesota)