Fwd: Re:wild west art activities

  • Wanda Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      Wanda Smith <wsmith72104@...> wrote:
      Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Wanda Smith <wsmith72104@...>
      Subject: Re:wild west art activities
      To: swanson8@...

      Hi Cindy, A several things came to mind, 1. Native American hide art: Use brown paper even those large grocery bags torn apart work well. Let the kids tear them so they look like a raw hide. Have them crumple them up put in water then undo and stretch out on a drawing board to dry, they should leave some wrinkles. this also would work as cave drawings. Copy Native American symbols from the Internet have each child tell a story using the symbols. Crayons or oil pastels work well for this project. 2. Set up a still life with a cow skull ( if you can find one), old cowboy boot,just one, a cowboy hat, piece of rope, tin cup, blanket, plastic cactus in a bowl of sand, etc. Not too much or it will over whelm them! Have them do a contour drawing then paint with Southwest colors, orange, purple, turquoise,magenta, peach, black or brown. You can find small bottles of these colors at Hobby Lobby. I put them out in ice trays. Cut the ice trays in half there are 6 sections. I do this with my 8th grade students but think it would be fun with the small ones too. 3. Make Kachina dolls using paper tubes from paper towels and toilet paper. One time I turned the lights off had candles lit simulating deep with in a cave. I had them tape their torn paper to the brick wall so it was rough when drawign just like in a cave.They used bark will as their drawing tool then added crayon for the color.Ok I will stop, cause my mind is in creative gear! Hope this helps, Wanda

    • Jennifer Freck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
        for a wild part of the west...would be fun to do "wanted" posters...

        :) Jenna in Alameda

        Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Wanda Smith <wsmith72104@sbcglobal.net>
        To: swanson8@cox.net