RE: [art_education] Summer Art Program

  • familyerickson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
      They love polymer clay.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: art_education@yahoogroups.com [mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Tina
      Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 12:41 PM
      To: Art Education Groups
      Subject: [art_education] Summer Art Program

      Dear Colleagues,

      Does anyone out there have some really great summer ideas for a small group of 7th graders?  I will be teaching an enrichment class and am looking for something that would be appropriate for 4 weeks/8 sessions.
      All ideas are appreciated!
      Thanks

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
        Floral foam sculptures! We did these initially as a project for
        Easter Island, but we'll be doing them this year in camp as part of
        our "worst case scenario day" and they will be carved as tombstones.
        All you need is a table cover (optional but recommended as it is a
        MESSY project), knives- steak knives or even decent disposable plastic
        knives will work-, awls or pins, 3-4 pieces of sized paper per
        student, and one piece of floral foam per child, though keep a few on
        hand extra in case they break or the child's concept just doesn't pull
        through the first time.
        I gave each child a piece of floral foam, 3 pieces of pre-sized
        paper that fit around the foam. I had each child draw what they though
        the statue would look like from that perspective- left, right, and
        head on. This is so important to kids who have never done this kind
        of work before. Tell them to use the entire piece of paper- don't try
        to create tiny images in the center, it will never crave out
        correctly. Give them examples of somewhat done, half done and full
        projects look like. I don't always give examples since I think it
        sometimes stifles what they can create on their own, but this project
        is so new to most kids that without examples, it is hard to see why
        they would preform certain steps. Then hand them knives after you've
        gone over their drawing and they have used the pins to push in a
        tracing of what their sculpture will look like, and stand back.
        Anyone with respiratory problems needs to have on a dust mask- in
        fact, it's a good idea for every, but especially kids with breathing
        issues.

        Marbleizing paper and then taking that paper and making it into
        journals or origami is a beautiful way to see a project through until
        the end.
        Everyone loves to tyedye, and this age is perfect to try advanced
        knot work with. Though I would highly recommend some extra helpers
        who have been given instruction in oriental knot making before helping
        the kids with it. These knots can be used as zipper pulls, car
        decorations, or as greeting card embellishments. Even guys like to do
        these extra fancy knots. During my yearly classes, we will learn to
        make knots and then draw them. It's amazing how drawing the knot
        after you make it increases awareness of the space in the drawing.
        (try before and after drawings, it's amazing :)
        Another thing to do with string is create "knot art", or spacial
        environments with knots. Making the tools of the art part of the art-
        make a sculpture of say sticks that's cool and abstract, and then
        connect it with beautiful knots or string that increases the value of
        the object. The knots and string should add to the sculpture.
        Have fun at your summer camp,
        Brandy